Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the TRUTH? Can someone give me a clue of what is happening? The stickied thread says something like "4 sticks will consume more than 2 sticks" and only that....

I wanted to double my system RAM. A couple of days ago I used to have 1 stick of 512MB DDR on my old system's motherboard which has two slots (1GB max supported). I went to the local shop in order to get 1 stick of 1GB and replace the existing rather than getting another 512MB stick having in mind that it would save some of the precious power my 230W power supply can output, because 2 sticks of 512MB would suppose to consume more power. The guy at the shop though told me that in fact what happens is the opposite, i.e 2 sticks of 512MB will conserve more power, because according to him, if for example I have 1 stick of 1GB and my system requests just 1MB or RAM, it will still allocate power for THE WHOLE 1GB, but in case I have 2 sticks of 512MB and request again 1MB, it will allocate power only for 1 stick!

In other words the power consumption it is based on how much RAM the system requests relative to the capacity of each stick, and not how many sticks you have there. So this tells me that having 4 sticks of 256MB each is even better since a request for lets say, 256MB would demand power only for the first stick, but having a 1GB stick the consumption would be X4!! :sigh:

:4-dontkno

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ram is powered up from the time you turn the PC on, so I have no idea what he's talking about. while it does use more power for 2 sticks we are not talking about a lot of power here 1-2 amps at most.
So basically it is better to have 2 sticks of 512MB each rather than 1 of 1GB and the only difference is the 1-2 amps more for powering them up? I think what he said makes sense regarding the request for RAM, why the system to touch another stick when you don't need that RAM afterall?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.