Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original issue I had with my laptop was that, while gaming, the game I was playing randomly closed. Restarting my computer caused my dedicated GPU to disappear from Task Manager, but updating drivers fixed that issue (I assumed the issue was driver corruption) but I was getting crashes with the error MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or something. Bought a new RAM stick and installed it. memory management bluescreens stopped, but other issues started popping up, some examples being IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE, and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT(this one only happened once and hasnt happened since). Looking up the issue, I see one or two things in common across them all, and that's driver or system file corruption and/or damaged RAM. I performed a full reinstall of Windows, checked device manager for driver issues (none appeared) and repeatedly checked Windows memory diagnostics, which showed no errors with installed RAM. Crashes only occur when the device is in use It takes about 30 minutes to an hour for it to crash unless the application is very intensive (Fortnite ran with no hitches for about 45 minutes before crashing, while Apex Legends crashes almost immediately). I left it open and on overnight without touching it and no crashes occurred. I performed a full disk repair with chkdsk, ran a few disk scan and repair operations through PowerShell, and installed updated graphics drivers, but nothing helped. I really need this device for virtual school, if I could get some help it'd be great

HP Pavilion 15 laptop
Device specs: Nvidia GeForce MX250, Intel Core I7 1065G7, 16 GB DDR4 RAM (both with old sticks and new)

EDIT: I should probably mention that, yes, I did try to run MemTest86, but I don't have a USB drive to boot from, so I couldn't do it.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
You have a built in Windows Memory Diagnostic. It's in your Start Menu, Windows Administrative Tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.