Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

Righto this is annoying me! Mates PC, asked me to get a gig of RAM. No worries. checked his PC, amd athlon 64 3000+, no problems there.
Motherboard Asus k85-la
Some dogey old m/b but as its asus im not to worried.
Supports pc3200 ram and has 2 ram slots.

Went and bought a 1 gig kit (2x 512) of pc3200 RAM, Kingston.

with 512 in it boots fine and runs no problems... with 768 (256 samsung stick, 512 kingston) in it runs fine.

HOWEVER

with 1 gig kingston it will boot fine, you can go to the bios and play around till your heart is content but as soon as windows boots the screen distorts and it locks up.

This is very frustrating as I thought originally it was DOA RAM so I got it replaced.

Now what do we think? Is it compatibility? I dont think so as 512 worked.. When i had 1 gig in the Bios recognised it no problems.
Motherboard? Thats my guess! I cant find much info on it and I wouldnt be surprised if something is dogey.
But i'm not ruling out Windows.
Bios? I cant find an update and this is a last resort! I do not want to kill my mates PC (hes alot bigger then me!)

HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its XP by the way.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Clearification

Would you mind clearifying the XP thing. I am not aware of this problem with XP. What version (pro or home) is installed? Is it SP2? Like I said, haven't come across this yet, and would like to know before upgrading my system.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
try taking the timings off of spd in your bios and relaxing them a tad
leave the 256 chip out
make sure you have at least 2.7 volts feeding them
post back

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xp home...
It a hp pavilion however it looks to me like somone gutted it before they sold it to him and put in cheap **** parts.

I am going to replace it with Samsung RAM because thats what it had in the system before hand... if that fails i will tell him he needs a new motherboard
he wont be happy as he bought it 6 months back...

Just cant find much on this motherboard to do a bios update...

I called the supplier and they say there should not be an issue.

seems more and more like a windows issue...

Never heard of too much ram before! :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*should not be an issue with the RAM and CPU

Shouldnt swear either! Bad Heffa!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.