Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Dell Dimension XP running Windows 98. It had been working perfectly fine until I tried to install more RAM in it. Now Windows 98 will not load. The start up process remains stuck at the screen that goes through the types of RAM such as Extended and the like being used. The increase in the RAM was noted, up to something like 384 Extended Memory I think. I removed the RAM that I had added and the problem persisted but, the computer did show a lower amount of extened memory though. At the bottom of the screen it says to his the delete key to enter the setup. The delete key didn't allow me to leave the screen that I am stuck on. I tried using F2 and F8 during the statup process, but neither worked. I would appreciate a lot of help. Thanks.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Try this:

Open up your computer's case.

There will be a small round battery somewhere on the motherboard. Remove this battery with care not to use too much force. Turn the computer on, and it might say something about a CMOS checksum error. Turn the computer off, put the battery back in, and then turn it back on.

You will need to set everything up again that you had set in BIOS before.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
When you remove the battery, leave it out overnight. If you only remove it for a few minutes, the caps may still retain enough charge to prevent the loss of the CMOS parameters.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the cmos requires very little power, and the caps can hold quite a bit when working todether.

i agree, leave it out overnight at least

~BoB~

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Didnt Work

I un plugged the battery for 18 hours. It didn't register that the CMOS was unplugged? I would appreciate more help.
Thank You..

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
When you pulled the battery, did you also unplug the ac power from the computer?

The jumpers from the are little plastic things that cover copper posts sticking up from the motherboard. Some MB's have it, some do not. Usually there are four posts sticking up somewhere near the battery. If you use a jumper, you can put it on the two middle posts and turn power on for a second. When done the cmos should be cleared.

Sometimes there are only two posts, and you short them. If not sure, don't try it. Look for a MB manual for your MB on the web.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you don't have the mb book go to Dell's site they should have a

downloadable version. What kind of memory did you buy and

who's brand that could also make a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok by some miracle I was able to get into the settings by pulling the right cable I guess it was the jumper cable?? Anyways, I purchased this computer used and there appears to be a password on the BIOS settings. Is this normal and is there anyway to get around this? What do I do in the settings to make Windows load in the future? Thanks Everyone for your help so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always needs help,

You need to go to the Dell site and find out where the jumper is

for the CMOS on that computer. It is not a cable it is a small

plastic piece that sits on pins on the motherboard. When you put

the jumper on the correct set of pins it clears the CMOS settings

including the password. Once you clear the CMOS settings then

you need to reboot and go into the settings anc set everything up

You need to set the date, hardrives, on board items such as

sound, modem, ethernet card. There may also be a setting for

the memory type. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I went to Delll's Website and found information about the Jumper Settings. The first time I switched the pins from 1/2 to 2/3 and got a message about entering a set up. I waited five minutes that message was still there. I tried re startiing the computer and this time there was no picture on the monitor and it appeared the Disk Drive was making the noise it does when it is expecting there to be a disk in the drive and there isn't. The noises wouldnt stop. I tried restarting the computer several times and the problem persisted. Note: Should the CMOS Bat be in or out when I switch the jumpers?

Any Help I would appreciate. Thank You.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok you need to put the jumper back where it was and the CMOS

should be cleared. Reboot the machine and go into the set up

either the delete key or F! should take you to the set up screen.

You need to set the date and time them go to advance setup and

set up the hard drives. Somewhere on the screens you should

see an area to set up memory speed. Check all of the settings

and when your done reboot and if all the settings are correct

the machine should start up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.