Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice and I need help. I am trying to upgrade my PC-100 SDRAM. I had a 64 and a 32, and I bought two PC-100 128's. I took the 32 out and put the two 128's in. I am pretty sure that the 128's that I bought were also SDRAM chips. My machine started, but I couldn't get anything to work. I would keep getting messages that each of the programs that I tried to open were having errors. Then I noticed that upon restart, when the RAM counter is going, the screen says NVRAM instead of SDRAM. I took the new RAM out and put the old back in. and everything works again. Is there anyway to make the new RAM work or do I need to return the two chips I bought and get different ones? If the latter, what type should I get? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Question: How much NVRAM does it count? The NVRAM is most commonly used with EEPROM and must certainly should not count up to 128 megs, however that would be very sweet. If it counts up to 128 megs (or even one meg for that matter) then I would flash the BIOS and try the RAM one at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the sticks one at a time (thanks, guys) and found that one was defective. While I am waiting for the replacement to arrive, I have the new one in there with my two old ones. Another problem that has now come up is that my cd burner does not work properly. I get the Adaptec screen up and running. I get the CD started and it might burn a couple songs, but inevitably, I get the blue screen of death and then the system freezes. All the other programs seem to be running smoothly (at least so far). Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bracius said:
Question: How much NVRAM does it count? The NVRAM is most commonly used with EEPROM and must certainly should not count up to 128 megs, however that would be very sweet. If it counts up to 128 megs (or even one meg for that matter) then I would flash the BIOS and try the RAM one at a time.
It counts more than 128 megs. Right now I have a 128, a 64, and a 32 in the three slots and it counts all way up to 200-something. What does flashing the BIOS mean?

·
Registered
57 Posts
256 by any chance?

Flashing the BIOS: Basically the motherboard MFG (most commonly) will release a BIOS flash that will replace the current BIOS services stored on the motherboard. This could be anything from support for new devices to fixes that occur between conflicts and such.

BIOS is an acronym for Basic Input/Output Services (or systems depending who you talk to). It stores the hardware services to allow your hardware devices to "talk" to the system. Alot of the time it is the core of device drivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.