Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the Intel 915P Motherboard(model BOXD915PBLL), I would like to have at least 2 GB of RAM, depending on the price could have up to 4GB but don't know which ones to get, should I get DDR or DDR2 RAM chips, 1GB(x2,4) or 2GB(x1,2), also which RAM chips are best to get for this motherboard,
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bl/index.htm

PS-not into gaming so don't need an Asus board, AMD, overclocking,
also the new Intel boards still have some problems, so a 915P CPU is
sufficient for my needs, which CPU should I get, the Intel Pentium 4 630
(3.0GHZ) or the Intel 640(3.2GHZ), any other info. needed please let me
know
thanks for all help here :sayyes:

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
First off your mobo supports DDR2 533 memory, so, go for some reputable brand like Mushkin or Kingston, both have a value series line that is not expnsive and stable. Second yoour mobo will support any Pentium 4 socket 775 (aka socket T) CPU so your choice is limited only by your budget. As a general rule of thumb, purchese the most memory and fastest cpu combination you can afford. Thus from your post I would suggest the Pentium 4 640 with two 1Gb dimms (2 X 1Gb) of DDR2 533 memory And FWIW the 915 is the chipset (Northbridge and Southbridge controllers) not the CPU.
Good luck with your build

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my bad, I meant chipset but had CPU on mind as well, thanks for your input, was looking at Kingston too but saw Corsair seems to be good?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Personally I like Mushkin, has a lifetime warrenty and their tech/customer support is the best in the busines. However There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kingston if that is your preference. They are one of the best known memory mfg's, and you can't go wrong with their memory especially for the price.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I would have to agree with twajetmech on Mushkin. Their Customer support is excellent. They are centrally located in the US so if you have to RMA an item they are very quick.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.