Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Computer: Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 Nvidia GeForce 6150LE with ATI Radeon 256MB Video card upgrade.

Was running Vista with 1GB ram (2x512MB DDR2) and decided to upgrade to 2GB. Got Kingston 2x1GB DDR2-800 after consulting with Crucial. Tried to upgrade and would not boot.

Now cannot get the MB to recognize the RAM. When I try to boot any combination of new or old RAM I get a "No RAM Memory" beep code. In retrospect when I initially inserted the new RAM it was not seated properly. But I am absolutely sure that is not the problem now.

Possible problems:

1) Fried the RAM - I would expect that the new ones wouldn't work, but why the old ones are no longer working either?

2) Damaged DIMM slot - none of the slots seem to work. I tried with a single RAM Chip in each slot and still none recognized. If one slot was damaged I would expect the rest to work.

3) MB problem - Have tried removing the CMOS battery, resetting the CMOS jumpers to no avail. Not sure what else to do.

I have unplugged everything else on my board (HD, network card, Radeon video card).

Is this a lost cause? I cannot boot the machine any more. If it costs any significant amount to fix it will not be worth it, but wondering if anyone has any more insight into what has gone wrong.

SUMMARY: After trying to upgrade RAM, no new or old RAM are recognized and the BIOS fails POST with a "No RAM" beep code. Computer details above.

Thanks!

See this post: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/ram-upgrade-causes-failure-to-boot-with-any-ram-572078.html

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.