Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have one stick of DDR400 RAM of 256 MB, and 16MB is shared with the integrated graphic card, lowering it to 240.

The problem is that, even after I removed most of my start up items, the physical memory left after start up and log on amounts to about 90 MB, and there's over 100 MB of pagefile usage. However, I have found that the total memory usage of running processes on start up should amount to about 20-35 MB. I suspect that my processes aren't the only sources of memory usage, but this is still alarming, as it would mean that the "other sources" would take about 215 MB in total*. Is this normal or could there be a security issue causing that?

*256MB (total) - 16MB (graphic card) - 90MB (free memory) + 100 (pagefile usage) - 35MB (running processes) = 215MB

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day Vidda, and Welcome to TSF!

First up, running only 256Mb of RAM with Windows® XP is the bare minimum!
To eleviate all your current issues, you would be best advised to install at least another 256Mb RAM stick.
Now, in answer to your question regarding the discrepancy of installed RAM to available RAM...
Your on-board Video will always require a certain amount of RAM to operate, this is known as 'shared' RAM; hence, you will always have 'less' than you expect to have, but in reality the RAM is there.
Hopefully this brief explanation is enough.
:wave:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Ooo boy. You know, Explorer.exe i.e. Windows Explorer alone takes up around 30-40MB RAM. Add another ~36MB for compulsory system files like svchost.exe. Now having an anti-virus, an anti-spyware and an personal firewall running, and nothing else at startup would add another ~60-70MB or so.

That works out as ~146MB running at startup without anything else running. So you would be very short of memory straight away with ~60% gone for basics. For applications you only actually have the remaining 90MB left.

chauffeur2 has given good advice. Upgrade is in order here and its cheap too. Any issues, needs, questions, ask right here and you might have to run away to stop getting endless replies :grin:

I have 130MB for Firefox and 48MB for Thunderbird alone BTW.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheap; DDR400 memory costs twice as much as DDR2 memory does for the same capacity x_x; Well thanks for the advice, I guess I got no choice.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Cheap is not a good word for RAM. Read here for a little more understanding: http://www.techsupportforum.com/
G'Day,
Kalim is right, inexpensive would be more appropriate. :grin:
No matter what the cost, you will never have a decently running system with only 256Mb RAM on board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.