Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what agp video card is better, and which one will last longer, raideon or geforce. Im leaning tward the geforce side because my cousins raideon 9800 burnt out in just about a year with no over cloking. money isnt an issue

· Registered
85 Posts
This question is sure to ignite a heated debate over the merits of each graphics card manufacturer. Let's address the easier part of your question first.

Reliability between ATI and NVIDIA are about the same. I'm sure that a lot of people will jump onto the board and have their own opinions, but my experience has been equal reliability.

As for performance, I lean towards NVIDIA. If you are a hard-core gamer, you may want to wait just a little for the GEFORCE 7 line which should be hitting stores in the near-future.

If you would like any specific reccomendations, please post a sample listing of games that you play and other applications, as well as a desired price range.

· Registered
18,185 Posts
There are rumors of the 7 series going AGP, but that's all. It really depends on what you want to do. I do lots of graphic design so I got a 6800. It has SM3.0 support and works wonders in my 3D design software. In games it flies. If I wanted purely games I'd possibly get a X800PE or something as they have a small edge in performance.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
wait, isnt the 7800 already out? is more coming out? whats going on? lol maybe i should settle for the geforce 6800 gt? will my motherboard be able to support it? i have a msi kt6v and a amd athlon xp 3000+. would my system support the X800PE? i do do alot of gaming = P

· Registered
18,185 Posts
The 7800 is already out in two incarnations: GTX and GT. If you're serious about gaming and have cash to burn, you could get one. Otherwise, a 6800GT/Ultra is a good choice. If you go ATi, then the X850 is a good choice.

· Registered
605 Posts
Out of all the cards release today that is out in AGP the top 2 options are the geforce 6800 Ultra and the radeon x850XT PE.

Overall the radeon have a slight edge in today games. This does not mean in all games because you can find games like doom 3 in which the geforce will be the better card.

Personally even thoe the radeon have a slight performance edge I would go with the geforce. The geforce have some features that the radeon does not have like SM3.

I own the geforce 6800 Ultra and I can vouch for it being a awsome card.

You could also save your self some money and get a 6800GT you only loose a little bit of performance.

If you decide to change motherboard and get pci-E then out of what out at this very moment clearly the geforce 7800GTX is the best. The EVGA KO edition being my favortie 7800GTX out right now with the high OC it comes with and the big HS and a great warrenty.

· Registered
35 Posts
With a powerful card like the 6800 series (GT, Ultra) I would be worried about bottlenecking (you listed Socket A 3000+), which means you won't get any closer to the potential of the card itself. I myself, had a K7n2 Motherboard and xp2400+ (hence the name) and after I upgraded to AMD64, my FPS made a giant leap (I run Geforce 6600GT AGP), my FPS doubled from 50FPS on Source to over 112.

My brother has a 6800 (not GT) and he runs a Intel P4 478 2.4Ghz 533FSB, and he has to run BF2 on LOW settings because his CPU and motherboard can't take the performance increase. I recommend FIRST before upgrading the GPU to take the step and upgrade your CPU and Motheboard.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.