Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I don't think this is possible but I have a 90GB SSD and a 500GB HDD in my new PC and was trying to find ways of easily using both simultaneously. The OS is installed on the SSD.
I plan to use the SSD for the OS, regularly used programs and perhaps a few games.
I'd like my main file system (Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents etc) to be on the HDD.
Is RAID possible with this setup? I would used RAID 0. I understand the overall disk space would be a multiple of the 90? Rather than 590 (500+90), so would be 450GB presumably?

Help would be appreciated,
Thanks

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
RAID works best with identical drives. It is doubtful that many controllers would support this but even if it were possible it would do nothing useful. It would in fact degrade the performance of the SSD.

RAID 0 would combine the 90 GB SSD with 90 GB from the conventional drive to provide a logical volume of 180 GB. All data written to the volume would be stripped across both disks. With identical (or at least similar drives) this increases performance because both drives are accessed at the same time. Benchmark performance can be quite impressive but is more modest under real world conditions. In this case performance would be degraded because every access would have to wait for the slower conventional drive.

RAID 0 has some serious implications that should be understood by anyone contemplating it's use. What you don't know can hurt you.

The best use for an SSD is for the OS and applications and with data stored on the conventional drive. This is not any form of RAID.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'll steer clear or RAID for now then.
Is there any easy way of storing all user files on the HDD and keeping OS and programs on the SSD? I assume it isn't as easy as just cutting and pasting across.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.