Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post so hi to everyone and here's hoping :sayyes: .

I have 3 maxtor sata hard drives, 2 at 160gb and 1 at 200gb, 2 of them are set up in a raid 0 (striping) setup and i wish to add the third purely for storage. I know by changing the bios i can see the three of them but does this mean theyre not in a raid setup anymore?

They are all using the promise controller supplied from Asus

Specs
Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1gb ddr
Asus P4C800E - DELUXE
2 Maxtor 160gb sata drives
1 Maxtor 200gb sata drive

Another question also remains can i set up a dual boot system using linux mepis and Xp on a raid array and if so how to as i tried to install on partiton i created on drive but mepis doesn't recognize any drives.

Sorry if it's kinda 2 questions but will start a new thread if requested :4-dontkno

Many Thanks for any help

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
The RAID is on a seperate controller all it's own. When you add the 200GB drive this will be placed on the Intel controller which will have no effect on the Promise controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the quick repy. I have three drives running but i had to change the bios to read for it to recognize the 200gb drive, the 2 drives show up as 300gb and on local disk it says " Promise 2+0 strip / raid0 scsi disk device" :

Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced Mode]
Enhanced Mode Support On [S-Ata]
Configure SATA as Raid [No]

I'm still confused as to whether i'm enjoying the full benefits of true raid. Sorry if this seems obvious but as i'm learning i just had to ask.

I also placed a partition for a dual boot linux distro but when i load the live disc for install it can't find any drives, is this just a linux driver issue and if so can anyone tell me how to load drivers to get the distro running as i've had it running fine before i upgraded my motherboard.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
scotchmizzed said:
Many thanks for the quick repy. I have three drives running but i had to change the bios to read for it to recognize the 200gb drive, the 2 drives show up as 300gb and on local disk it says " Promise 2+0 strip / raid0 scsi disk device" :
This looks correct as the RAID array was configured in the promise BIOS which is separate from the MB BIOS

scotchmizzed said:
Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced Mode]
Enhanced Mode Support On [S-Ata]
Configure SATA as Raid [No]
And this would be correct for the SATA drive configured in the MB BIOS.

scotchmizzed said:
I'm still confused as to whether i'm enjoying the full benefits of true raid. Sorry if this seems obvious but as i'm learning i just had to ask.
You are benifitting from the RAID array but you probably will not see much of a performance increase. Most the problem stems from the actual transfer rate of the drives which is typically 50-60MB/s. In a striped array it may go up to about 80-90MB/s.
The other problem is the Promise controller. The controller is tied into the PCI bus thus sharing the bandwith of the PCI bus. Theoretically the max transfer rate of the PCI bus is 133MB/s. you also need to factor in that your LAN, Sound, etc. is also sharing the bandwidth. This would be especially true if you was to take advantage of the GBe LAN as the LAN would take up the entire bandwith of the PCI bus. The Intel controller is seated directly on the southbridge of the MB chipset and can take advantage of the full speed and bandwith of the chipset. Not being hindered by the slow speed of the PCI bus. Therefore this would be the prime location to set up the array and not on the Promise controller.

scotchmizzed said:
I also placed a partition for a dual boot linux distro but when i load the live disc for install it can't find any drives, is this just a linux driver issue and if so can anyone tell me how to load drivers to get the distro running as i've had it running fine before i upgraded my motherboard.
This does sound like a driver issue as the Linux OS probably doesn't have the correct drivers for the Promise controller. I can't help you on that cause I have really never set up a Linux box on a RAID array.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many Thanks for the great advice i've now got it setup on the intel raid with 2 drives 160gb, is there any way for me to add the 200gb one as it has all my backups ? :sayyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey scotch.

Can you post any results your getting with your raid array. I have the same board, and am considering getting a raid setup. Do you have sis Sandra?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Working great now with raid drives setup but have added ide drive to boot linux through F8 boot selector, but now my 200gb drive has disappeared from my computer.

I'ts listed in device manager but can't access it :4-dontkno .

Is it to do with adding ide drive and bios settings as nothing else has changed?
Will keep working away anyway till i get mepis on this :sayyes: . Will post results of efforts :sayyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've worked it out why it doesn't show, as i've formatted my back up drive with linux ext 3 so i'm now in the process of data recovery :deveous: .

All my photos, music ,etc. so if anyone can recommend a very reliable recovery program.

I'm using Recoveritall but it actually find data from the drive before i owned it but not my data :cry:

It was formatted with ext 3 so i reformatted it with ntfs and nothing else has been written to it. Are there any procedures for data recovery other than that?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I use GetDataBack. The trial version will let you see your data on the drive. But you have to pay for the program to recover it. It will recover NTFS and FAT but I don't know how it will react to a ext 3 converted to NTFS partition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.