Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2 500gb drives and want to create a raid 0 mirrored array with them.

I installed one drive and copied an image of my existing hard drive onto it with no problems. All drives are SATA and the motherboard uses the NVIDIA NForce 570 chipset. I then removed my original hard drive and booted to the new 500gb drive with no problems. So, I know that the drive is good and the copy worked.

I added the second drive with no problems and got it formatted using quick format. Next I turned RAID on in the BIOS and specified that SATA connections (1 and 2) that I wanted to use. I then went into the RAID (Nvidia Mediashield) configuration program and created a healthy array making certain that I didn't "delete any data" which the configuration program allows you to do.

After that the machine wouldn't boot. I surmise that my problem is that I haven't loaded in the correct drivers. I don't think that I bothered with them when I created the original XP installation about 2 years ago as I wasn't using RAID.

So, how can I install them into a running XP Pro System? Or is the quick format the problem here or something else you can think of?

·
Registered
150 Posts
try booting the machine with the one hard drive that you had cloned to check whether or not the data has been erased due to a reformat to RAID partition.

I don't think it is possible, if it is then I don't prefer creating a RAID with an eexisting drive. The only way i know for sure to make a proper RAID is to create a healthy RAID partition and then installing XP on top of that with the correct SATA RAID drivers. It will not detect the partition if the drivers are not there. As you mentioned, it won't boot up, i suppose that you are gonna have to do the old fashioned way that i mentioned. If it did boot, then i suppose you can go into device manager and install the driver and then hopefully Nvidia has a utility that allows you to monitor the parition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.