Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
In the very near future I'll be building another system from scratch and would like to use Raid 1 for the ultimate back-up(Ithink).I bought a MB that does not have a connector for a floppy drive.The instructions say to use an USB floppy drive to install the Raid drivers.If needed I could buy a USB floppy .
My question is;Is there a way around this and is Raid 1 what I would call the ultimate back-up.
The system I'm on now is Raid 1 and I've never had a problem with a drive so I've never had to back-up from it.
The new system will have twin 750's and be W7 Pro.
The old system is XPsp2 with twin 250's.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,Cardoc

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Hi,
RAID 1 is actually not a good backup scheme. It only protects you from data loss in the event of an hard drive failure. If something corrupts or deletes data, it will be the same on both drives. That being said, I use RAID 1 for redundancy so that if a failure occurs, I can continue operating until I can replace the bad drive. I also backup my must have data periodically, as well as take an image of my system drive so I can easily recover from a catastophic problem.

Windows 7 contains many RAID drivers natively so they are usually not required for install but it also allows both CD/DVD or USB memory for installation of drivers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lead3
Would it then make sense to backup or image 1 drive to the other on the same machine.If so what would be your suggestion for software.Right now an external drive would be a budget buster.I already have the twin 750's.I'am unfamilar with thus process which is why I'm thinking of Raid1.
Thanks again

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also in thinking I would like to build the Raid array while loading the OS so it's on both drives.This is where the instructions say to use a USB floppy.(the press F6 to install drivers) Would I be able to use a flash drive or should I buy a USB floppy?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I backup to another disk on my machine using Acronis True image Home 2009.

If you are going to install Windows 7 on the RAID 1, you will most likely not need any extra drivers. If you do, Windows 7 supports USB flash and DVD\CD for driver install.
Windows 7 does not use F6 to install drivers, you will see a message to look for drivers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.