Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You want to know how to set it up or how it works? Shouldn't the how to set it up be in your mobo documentation?

You need 2 drives of the same size, make, and model - preferably. If they're different size or speed, it's my understanding that RAID will usually give you the lowest speed and/or size.

Also, RAID 0 is striping which DOES NOT give you fault tolerance. Is this what you want? It WILL give you a PERFORMANCE BOOST in disk I/O.

RAID 1 would give you mirroring which would give you fault tolerance, but no performance boost. You can also implement 0+1 which is both, but you would need a minimum of 4 drives and your hardware would have to support it.

The best of both - is RAID 5 - which is striping with parity. This would give you faster disk I/O with fault tolerance. You would need a minimum of 3 equally sized disks to implement and hardware to support RAID 5.

HTH

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On a side note - saw a bit on The Screensavers where they set up a RAID 0 array over 1 TB in size. Kind of cool, in a geeky way ...

A TB in a PC ... heh heh heh.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.