hi
anybody got good links to setup a raid 0

i have a kt3 u2-r mobo with onboard promise contoller

id love some real tech links on setup

thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You want to know how to set it up or how it works? Shouldn't the how to set it up be in your mobo documentation?

You need 2 drives of the same size, make, and model - preferably. If they're different size or speed, it's my understanding that RAID will usually give you the lowest speed and/or size.

Also, RAID 0 is striping which DOES NOT give you fault tolerance. Is this what you want? It WILL give you a PERFORMANCE BOOST in disk I/O.

RAID 1 would give you mirroring which would give you fault tolerance, but no performance boost. You can also implement 0+1 which is both, but you would need a minimum of 4 drives and your hardware would have to support it.

The best of both - is RAID 5 - which is striping with parity. This would give you faster disk I/O with fault tolerance. You would need a minimum of 3 equally sized disks to implement and hardware to support RAID 5.

HTH

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Personally, I'd opt for a faster drive and a backup drive, there are very few instances where you need the speed boost. RAID levels described is a pretty good description of the various levels. FWIW, the only worthwhile one IMO is RAID-5.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
On a side note - saw a bit on The Screensavers where they set up a RAID 0 array over 1 TB in size. Kind of cool, in a geeky way ...

A TB in a PC ... heh heh heh.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
My main machine here has 1/2 a TB, 200gig, 160gig, 120gig, and 60gig drives. :) It's backed up to three USB 2.0 120gig disks, as well as critical files being backed up daily onto two other machines in the network.

Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.