Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fear I have just had a major failure.

I was in the process of doing my monthly key file back ups to DVD when I had a spontanious reboot. When re booting I got a Raid failure notice. When rebooting and going to the BIOS I am told that there has been a repairable raid failure detected and that my RAID Vol 1, 64kb stripe has failed.

I am then told that the missing Hard disks have been found and I am asked if the listed drives are part of the raid volume. It says that the raid volume has failedand one of the Raptors is normal. It then says that one of the disks is bootable but the raid O array is not. I can then tell it that the two disks are part of my raid 0 array.

I then get the options as follows
1. Create RAID volume
2. Delete Raid volume
3. Reset disks to non raid
4. Exit

If I choose 1. Create RAID volume I get the notice "Not enough non-raid disks available to create a volume.

I am stumped and reaching a state of panic as I have many client projects that I am in the middle of. I do have much of my data backed up on my external deata drive.

I am starting to think that one of the Raptors has failed. I have double checked to be sure the cables are securly connected and that there is power to the molex connectors

(Mobo Asus P4c800E-D, Drivs 35 Gb Raptors off the ICH5R, this rig has been stable for 18 mos until this)

Help!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
18 months on Raptors in a RAID 0. Very impressive. I've had 3 failures in 1 year on 3 different drives. I don't know what kind of advice I can give you on recovering any data from your RAID array. Every time I have tried, it just comes up fragmented. I do my backups about twice a week because of this.

You may want to first run a diagnostic on the questionable drive to see just how stable it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
crazijoe said:
18 months on Raptors in a RAID 0. Very impressive. I've had 3 failures in 1 year on 3 different drives. I don't know what kind of advice I can give you on recovering any data from your RAID array. Every time I have tried, it just comes up fragmented. I do my backups about twice a week because of this.

You may want to first run a diagnostic on the questionable drive to see just how stable it is.
Crazijoe, hope you dont mind me asking, what kind of failures are they, is it hardware (drive failure)? I thought Raptors were reasonably reliable. There certainly relativly expensive. I've just stuck two in a RAID 0.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
All my drives failed because of hardware, the drives themselves. This happened on three different occasions and not all at the same time. I ran the WD DataLifeGuard Tools for each one and all came back a bad drives. I got an RMA from WD and they sent back, not new drives but Remanufactured drives. At the time I didn't care, I just wanted my computer back up. I have had the drives for about 2 years. They went out in a year time. I haven't had an incident since November last year.
I look on Raptor drives are more towards performance and not quality. I personally don't think that WD quality is as good as it used to be.
My wifes computer has a pair of Seagate 80GB SATA drives that has been setup in a RAID 0 at the same time I got my Raptors. She hasn't had a problem since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.