Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my Radeon X800 GTO when i play world of warcraft it will start to stutter like its having a RAM problem or something, then all of a sudden it will freeze the screen, a couple seconds later the screen will go black and then eventually come back on into the game again usually. It does this a couple times then eventually just goes black and never comes back on. Though i can still hear the game going, and able to click stuff and hear a reaction to what i click. I had this same problem when i got my new motherboard with my old ATI Radeon 9550 LE.
I then borrowed my friends Geforce 6600 video card and it would work perfectly fine without a problem.
So i put my X800 card in and had the problem, so i decided to try the Omega drivers and see what happened. With these when i got into the game it did the freeze and black screen then recover twice, after that i had no problems in the game for the next 2 hours i played. So i don't know what the deal is with this if its my video card, my mother board, my RAM, or something else. Tonight i'm going to play again on the Omega drivers and see if it happens again or not. My System specs are:
AMD athlon XP 64bit 3800+
AsRock 939Dual sata2
DDR 333 512 RAM (getting new DDR 400 1 gig this christmas)
Powercolor Radeon X800 GTO 256MB PCI-E
Mother board drivers are all up to date as far as i can tell from the Asrock site.
Using Omega drivers on videocard
If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it cause i really don't wanna have to send the card back, but if I have to get a Geforce card instead i guess i'll have to, but thats a last resort right now. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide me.
Mike D.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Mike. Let me guess, the problem you are having now started after the WoW 2.0 patch? Players are experiencing and assortment of major problems since the last patch. Go to WorldOfWarcraft.com and check out the techinical forums. You will better understand whats going on and hopefully find a fix. Good luck.

P.S. After the last patch my FPS dropped to 3...which made the game unplayable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually i've been having this problem before the patch was released, so i know thats not it. Its just the wierd thing is that my friend's GeForce 6600 card worked perfectly fine in the computer, but my ATI's don't when i go into 3d applications....

·
Registered
2 Posts
X800 GTO in game freezing

It's not from WOW patch. I'm having the exact same problem with the X800 GTO. Every single game freezes. It can take 5 minutes up to an hour but never goes past an hour of playing. Tried every driver. Even replaced my computer's Power suply, like a guy in some other forum told me to try. Changed settings according to ATI, my BIOS settings, the only thing i did not try was new fan for refrigeration.

Really i think its just a problem with the video card. It's a piece of crap and does not work properly. I'm really thinking of giving up ATI forever and going for Nvidea

but if anyone has any ideia how to solve the problem....i'd be glad

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dunno about any of that I've installed upwards of 12 of those cards right in my shop with no issues - they were a while back but they were all for gamers. Not to mention I have one in my 3rd system playing all games just fine, and also with an AsRock dual 939. The AsRock dual 939 actually needs a bit of expertise to get it working properly with no issues with R430-480 (some R350) based ATI AGP cards. If you follow thise dual 939 guide you should be set - lots of pertinent info in it.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196664

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probabily found a solution

Gremlin55, since we're the ones with the problem here is a pssible solution.
Talkin in several other foruns, where the same problem is adressed, found a guy who says he's ok now after having installed a new more powerfull power suply to his PC. Like i said in my last thread i had already done that, but changed one 320W for one with 420W. What he told me is that it is still not enough, it has to be 500W or more.
I already found one 550W, but with the hollidays and all, i can only buy it and install it in 2007.
If it really solves our in game freezing, i'll confirm it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's not about total wattage or increasing total wattage always - but more so about the +12v amperage rating and the quality of the +12v rail. Quality as in stability which is a direct result of the quality of the innards of the PSU itself. You definitely don't have to have a 500W PSU but it does help to have 500W of quality power, as it would 420-430W of quality power. 430W of very good quality power (Antec. Fortron, Ttake, Silverstone, Sparkle, XClio, OCZ) are all very good PSU's, and quality 420W is more than enough to power any X800 card with no more than 2 HDD's. But it woudn't hurt to try another PSU anyway -- there are duds (bad/unstable PSU's) sometimes even with quality brands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i just sent my video card back for a refund and bought a geforce 7600 GTS and so far it is working without a problem. I have a 500W PSU already so i don't know if thats it, only thing i can think of is maybe my motherboard is messed up in someway that Radeon doesn't work on it. Cause i've heard of other people who have Radeons and this board and it works fine. As long as my Geforce works fine i'll be happy. When i get a new motherboard i'll go back to radeon, but until then i'll just stick with geforce, thanks anyways for your guy's help! Also hope you guys get it figured out on whats going on with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad you're up and running. Might have been a slight incompatibility with your bios or a software conflict or something, and sometimes it's easier to just try another part which you did and it works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.