Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In december i will be upgrading my computer a lot with a new processor, mobo, more ram, and a graphics card.

Right now I'm planing on getting one of the cards in the radeon 9800 series, but I'm not sure which, currently I'm thinking about spending more then i wanted to and getting the radeon 9800 XT, i will be playing a lot of games such as half life 2, doom 3, and sims 2, and i want to play these games with ease but I'm also cheap so i'm wonder would the 256mb's on xt nake a huge difference that its worth paying $100 or $200 more?

·
Registered
45 Posts
All the information that I have found so far is that having 256mb of vram affords no advantages over 128 mb on any current games. There are some attractive looking radeon 9800 pro and radeon 9800 models with only 128 mb of videoram. In my opinion, it is probably not worth the extra 150$ you are paying just for the extra 128 mb of ram that is not going to be used yet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Go with the 128MB card. The cards with the higher amount of memory historically have had slower memory clock speeds. Also, the money you save by getting a 128MB card will be better put to use by purchasing higher quality system RAM (1GB should be cool) and a motherboard with an AGP Pro slot. Make sure you get an AGP Pro slot so that your new system can support this next generation graphics technology.
:winking:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've made up my mind to go with the radeon 9800(non pro), would more ram, or would a faster type of ram be better for games like bf1942, hl2, etc?
I'm thinking of getting two sticks of 512mb PC133.

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
More ram you have more information, i was reading my maximum pc mag. The one shows you step by step on how to build a PC. And parts that you should get, and how & why they do, what they do. This is what it say's (I quote) All video cards include a certain amount of onboard, high-speed memory. This RAM is used
to store information about the geometry of the 3D models the card is rendering, as well as the actual textures that are being stretched across those models. Many current games use full 128MB that most cards offer and even take advantage of the extra space that a 256MB cards offers. A 128MB card will serve you well for the next couple of months, but foreward-thinking buyer would get a card with 256MB to accommodate future games. MaximumPC If i was you i would get a GigaByte Radeon 9800 at www.gigabyte.com.tw or a ATI Radeon 9800 XT or a Crucial Radeon 9800. There all good card company's plus you gotta think in the future. Spend the a little more and get the Radeon 9800 XT & it comes with a free copy of Half Life 2. Aso get the new AMD Athlon 64 processor!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.