Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winxp sp2/ Radeon 9800 Pro/ Pentium 4 3.0Ghz

Hi all,

Had numerous problems with this one before(12 months ago). Finally got it working (new PSU, disable fast write and V-sync and Netmeeting - D3D conflict) however with some games I would get graphic distortions every so often, distortions would range from coloured lines flashing on screen to entire display distruption.

So to try and correct these distortions I began updating drivers today, Catalyst 6.12 then Omega 38921. Neither seem to get things working. Now I've lost my D3D again. It won't initialise for games. And in Dxdiag.exe my Direct Sound and Direct Draw are greyed out.

I confirmed that Fast Write is Off, V-sync is off.
Any Ideas?

I had to remove Netmeeting but Is it possible that it wasn't completely removed?

At the moment, D3D won't run, games won't work. And all my menus and windows on the desktop refresh very slowly and jerky/slow response.

I've been reading that Chipset software should be updated, model # is AsusTek Sis648. I tried the official auto-update program which refuses to work. Can anyone direct me to a better update facility?

Thanks

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
When you updated the drivers, did you also reinstall DirectX? Did you fully uninstall Catalyst before installing Omega?

The chipset drivers need to be installed (preferably before you do the drivers and DirectX, but it shouldn't make too much difference). You can find them on your motherboard CD or Asus or SIS.

The artifacts you describe could be caused by a faulty card. See if the drivers improve things. If not we'll start looking at the hardware and cooling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have just tried updating all drivers again this morning

Removed previous graphics drivers

Installed .net framework 2.0 (read somewhere to keep this updated aswell)

Installed latest Omega Drivers

When PC booted up I was given the Windows Found New Hardware screen with options to install drivers for it (???) Also a warning window saying Could not find ATI drivers or ATI Card.

Reinstalled AGP Chipset drivers 1.21

Then went to Device Manager and updated drivers for the Card via the Wizard

When I go to display properties now it shows Monitor is a "Default Monitor" running on "Default Adapter"

Edit **About reinstalling Direct X. I just used a newish game disk and ran the setup.exe It didn't take long, (which I'm sceptical of) and displayed a successful installation window. Any pointers?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll never be ceased to be amazed/annoyed by the unpredictability of these machines...

I did a reboot for the hell of it, and everything works now.

D3D is all enabled in dxdiag.exe, my ATI Tray tools work, and my ATI CP works also. Display shows Radeon 9800 Pro on plug n play monitor.

The only thing that came to my attention was AGP and PCI in the SMartgart options are selected off in the pull down menu but are actually shown as running.

I think I will leave it alone, will try some high end games now.. I'll keep in touch if it all goes hay-wire again!

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Good to hear you got it fixed. If this was the first reboot since installing the drivers, that would have completed the installation process. If it happens again, a hard whack with a hammer usually does the trick :grin:

When the AGP option is greyed out or set to off in SmartGart, install the chipset drivers then go into BIOS to check the AGP settings (fast writes, AGP4/8, etc).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.