Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres my specs first
p4 2.6ht
1gb ram
asus p4c00 deluxe mb
old soundblaster live sound card
enermax 350watt ps(bout 3-4 years old)
nec dvd-r/rw/cdr/rw

ok so i got this great idea to upgrade my vid card from an old gf4 4200 to a radeon 9800 pro cause they are pretty cheap now. so i plug the new card in and it works fine for like...2 days. then on the third day i run a game(that i had been running the previous 2 days) and i get all kinds of crazy lines and artifacts all over the screen. restarted the computer. windows loading screen comes on and the little bar goes and goes. then instead of going to the login screen the monitor goes totally black with a few little colored specs on the screen. i have tried using dif 4 pin connecters to the vid card and got the same result. ps everythin has the newest drivers including mb avid card. so i put the old vid card back in and it works fine. ***?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Like it or not bad cards to come off the line. And sometimes problems don't show up during initial testing. Try to get an RMA or exchange on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i uninstalled the drivers using windows remove programs tool. then replaced the nvidia one with the ati. then i installed the ati drivers and it worked fine for 3 days...any possibility its my powersupply not giving enuff power to the card? or would that have shown up right when i used it the first time?
ps i unplugged all drives(other than hd) and and all the fans just to see if it was a power issue but it still didnt resolve it.
anyway thanks for the responses guys :sayyes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
350 W is good, but since its 3/4 years old... that means its probly low on the amps
you want 20A on the +3.3v

also check heat... 4200 is gonna be ALOT cooler then 9800 pro.
everest can check temps and voltages (voltages dont work for me...) if you can, get us your PSU info and Temps, if those are normal then ebackhus is right...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.