Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have a radeon 9800 pro graphic card. the problem occurs when i play games such as Counter Strike and Rakion and not while im watching videos. While in gameplay, the game suddenly freezes and the sound effect constantly plays over and over. Recently the same problem occurs but the screen turns black. And even my case fans blink occasionally.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Oldmn has a pretty good theory on this one. Why not list the brand name and wattage of your power supply? This might help us to pinpoint some issues that you are having.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the power box is 400W
brand is Cyberzone Model : KC-400
it came with the Aspire X-Navigator case i purchased off of xoxide.com

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I found this information on your power supply:

+5v:25a
+3.3v: 20a
+12v: 15a
-12v: 1a
-5v: 1a
+5vsb: 2a

The model number is kc400

I don't know anything else about your rig, but this power supply with only 15a on the 12 volt rail is very, very weak even when performing at it's peak. I would suspect that it would not be powerful enough to pull your rig and video card. Might want to post what else you have like motherboard, cpu, drives so we know more about your setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Right now I'm running:
AMD 64 3200+ (Socket 754)
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard
Corsair XMS 512MB Memory
WesternDigital Raptor 74GB
Radeon 9800 Pro
Creative Audigy 4
Plextor CD Drive

Case - Aspire X-Navigator (5 case fans that have LEDs on each one)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

IMO, way too much power needed for 15 amps on the +12 rail. Your power supply just does not seem strong enough to cut it. That would be my best guess.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

That could be part of your problem. Take a can of air and make sure that it is clean and see if it will go. Otherwise, I would replace that thing, because you might damage the card if it gets too hot.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Glad you got it going and it is fixed. Now, don't be a stranger on here. Stick around and if you see a problem like you had or something else you know about, jump right in and help. Have a great day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Similar problems, Radeon 9800se Crashes

Hey
I've just purchased a new Radeon 9800se (256) graphics card and I'm having similar problems. I've tried keeping my compiter as cool as I can, by taking off the case panals and sticking a household fan in front of it (lol) and still it crashes. Having reading many peoples problems many people are saying that it is a lack of power supply which is causing these problems. This is the same model of power supply I have, Thought that this pic would be of use as it has all the specs on - so my question is, Is my power supply too weak to run this graphics card? A speedy responce would be greatly appreciated, Thanks on advance.

http://www.in-win.com.tw/cn/in-win/images/product_images/original_images/250W_bb_l.jpg

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi hounddf2,

It is very hard to tell since we don't know what computer you have that takes how much power. However, with that card, I would never try to pull it with less than a quality 450 to 550 power supply. When I say quality, I mean either an enermax or Antec power supply. Don't ever get an off brand that sells for 50 bucks, or you will regret it.

The ATI 9800 takes a bunch of juice to work properly and the power supply you have only has a total of 13 amps on the 12 volt rail. That is not much.

Other than that, we can kind of look at your issues if you want to start a new thread and that way you will get more help. If you do that, send me a PM with the thread link and I will take a look at it. If you post a new thread, please post your computer specs, plus this link you just posted.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ hounddf2
Welcome to TSF:smile:
You didn't post your system specs, but I would guess that your PSU is underpowered for your system unless it is 5 or more years old, in which case you might be better off getting a new one anyway.

My new favorite PSU to recommend is the Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 500W. At ~$76 delivered, it is the cheapest quality PSU I've seen. You may find it cheaper if you search a bit. Don't waste money on cheap generic units. Get a quality unit that will last you and not cause problems.

Keep us posted with your progress

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey
Thanks Tumbleweed and Please for your advice and kind responces, Im sorry I didnt get to introduce myself properly! - Im hounddf2 (Matt) And glad to have found this very good forum :D
Here are the specs I know of
2.66ghz proc
512DDR RAM
Radeon 9100 128 graphics card (recently replaced with 9800)
80gig hard drive
Windows XP OS

Theyre the specs i know of, If theyres more you could need, just tell me how to find them out lol.
Thanks again

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Please has suggested the Antec 500 as a great buy and they are. He has given you good advice.

I am using the Sonata II case with an Athlon 3700+ San Diego chip and it has an Antec 450 that came standard with the case. It runs like a charm. I also have an Antec Sonata I rig for my spare computer with an Antec 380 in it with a Pentium 4 2.8, and it works well. However, for the more powerful CPU that I purchased, I moved up to the larger power supply. I just think that you need to go higher if possible so you won't have to do this again in a few weeks when you want to add something to your box.

I would also suggest you take a look at the Antec 550 which is about as good as it gets for the price range. Might want to check out Newegg.com or ZipZoomFly.com and see, because they have been running specials for the past couple of weeks on these supplies (darn, why don't they run specials when I need one) that are high quality. Again, don't settle for anything but an Antec or Enermax because of quality issues.

Post back if you have questions or we can help in any way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks again for these great suggestions! The only problem is that I live in the UK so I'm not sure as to wether they will deliver, I will check it out though. Thanks so much, Ill keep you informed with any progress!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.