Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I've been playing BF2. It's a great game, but I have to turn down my graphics to play well. Even with it turned down, the game stalls from time to time, because it still loads textures as I move around. It's very aggrovating, imagine me trying to parachutte from a chopper, but my parachutte won't work because my game stalls too much to realize what I'm pressing on my keyboard. So, I'm doing a funny free-fall to my doom.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to beef up my graphics in any way. I'm planning on buying a newer card, maybe the Radeon X800? But I can't afford it for now, so I'd like to try tweaking my card. I don't know how to tweak, and I'm afraid to do so.

I'd like to know 2 things. First, just a few instructions on possible tweaking. Second, what's the difference between the Radeon 9000 series . . . and the X series? I guess that's what it's called. You have Radeons in 9250, 9500, then you have Radeon X600, X1800. I can't tell the difference, I can only tell if it's good by it's price range. :sad: :sayno:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
About the only thing you can do for a Radeon 9600 is overclock it. That may give you somewhat of a speedup but it's still going to stall on a hog like BF2. And overclocking can permanently damage your video card. You can try overclocking with ATITool if you're willing to take the risk but you're not likely to get enough of a speedup to really notice unless you beef up the cooling on your video card. Even with improved cooling you might get 20% on the GPU and 10% on the RAM and that's not very much. Personally I wouldn't take the risk on damaging your card for that small a speedup.

When it comes to new cards, if you have a Radeon 9600 then you've got an AGP slot so you don't have to worry about ATI's newer cards because they're PCI-Express. And there's no point in looking at 9250s or 9550s because they're slower than what you've got. The lowest end card that will get by in BF2 is probably a GeForce 6600GT but even that's going to bog down from time to time so you should probably go higher end. What is your price range and what is the rest of your hardware (CPU, motherboard, RAM)?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Mana Dragon
I have the same AIW card as you. The differences between the 9000 series and the 'x' series is the x series('X' is for 10...one above 9) has a newer more powerful GPU and faster/more ram. They were designed for the PCI-Express interface, tho ATI has made them with the AGP interface as well for us 'oldskoolers' :cool: .
The 9600 AIW is not a great OC'er and probably will never run the newer games with great results(I don't know, I am not a big gamer). There are some tools for OCing, but you may only get 10% or 20% and it may or may not be stable. I know the newer drivers were helpful in getting a little more performance from the older cards like ours. You can check out the ATI Catalyst Tweak Guide which will give you links to the best Catalyst drivers( I think 5.9 is better for older cards than 5.10...there was a memory usage tweak designed specially for our cards and I noticed slightly improved benchmarks after installation :smile: ) or Omega drivers and the ATI Tool. Try them out and see. It will be at your own risk and don't expect huge gains, but 10% or 20% may just be enough to make the game enjoyable for you.

Keep us/me posted of your progress...I got the tools but haven't played with them yet :sad: . I am interested to see what results you get. Try running some benchmarks like SiSandra Lite or PCMark05(they're free!) before and after installation to see what improvements you see.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Processor: Intel Sempron 2.00 GHz
Motherboard: uh..
RAM: 512 MB of RAM

I'm actually broke at the moment, but I'm building up my bucks for something in the 300 - 500 region. Actually, I want the best video card out there, right now :cool: I want to "****" my computer. This is a custom built computer. A friend of mine helped me build this. It's not a dell, nor Gateway, it's a completly pure breed computer :sayyes:

I'm going to check into these tools, I haven't tried them yet, I'll test 'em out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa, now that I think about it. . . oh, I'm going to post my new problem on another forum. Crap, I forgot. :sayno:

Alright, my CPU temperture currently, is around 113 degrees. Sometimes me computer will freeze when I multitask. You don't have to tell me that OCing right now is dangerous . So, I'll hold off. I'm going to post a new question. Thanks, I've bookmarked this page.

(New Topic: My Hot Compy.
Forum: Hardware -dai, "Other")

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
It's not really worth it to **** a PC because the next day all the hardware will be obsolete. You're better just getting something that works well but doesn't break the bank. A 6800 or 6800GT ought to work out better for you. Is your Sempron a socket 462 or socket 754? If it's the latter then I'd suggest getting an Athlon 64 installed. If you're with socket 462 then you can't really go much further.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
It's the way the CPU plugs into the motherboard. The numbers indicate the number of pins it accomodates and determines what can be installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.