Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my motherboard the RAm slots are labeled as A1, A2, B1, [email protected] With A1, and B! colored yellow and A2, B2 colored black. I have 2 sticks of 1GB RAM and was wondering where I put these ? Does it make any difference? Right now I have them in A1, A2, but I am starting to second guess myself. My motherboard is a P5B-E Asus

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
G'Day jessman,

Have a look at this, it is the Asus™ website...just input your motherboard model into the box at the top left;then, select manuals, and you will be able to download a .pdf file manual of your board.

On pages 3 & 4 and 13 of the manual are the DIMM socket layouts with instructions as to where and how to install your RAM.

Post back if you have any further queries/concerns. :wave:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I have the manual, but if you mean the pic on the page where it tells how to install dimm, then that doesn't help me. It is showing only one dimm being installed, and I can't tell if it is even in the yellow or black.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also, I can't tell if I have them in in the right direction. It says that you will be able to tell which way they go in, but If I put it in one way, the stick fits nicley in, but those little flaps won't snap into the notches in the RAM sticks.

If I put them in the other way, one side will fit in perfectly and the flap will fit in perfectly into the notch on the side, but the other side won't. Do those flaps need to fit into the notches on the sides of the RAM sticks

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Install the RAM in A1 and A2 (the yellow and black next to each other) for dual channel. Also, when installing the RAM, align the notch in the RAM with the break in the slot.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
@ jessman, you are posting threads all over the place and getting answers that could be out of context to what you are trying to achieve ( i.e. build your own computer).
To get the best results from this forum please place all your posts in the one thread and then the people helping you will be able to advise you to post elsewhere if needed.
You will have to read and then reread your motherboard manual before you do anything then ask and we will only be very willing to confirm that your decision is the correct one.
This way you will learn a lot more, a lot quicker.
Hope this helps you

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, sorry for all the posts, but the baord where I posted the build comp help thread seemed dead, so I just though of posting one question at a time in the respective boards. Anyways, I can't get the flip things to lock into the notches in the RAM, they close up just below the notches, and even forcing the RAM down more won't get them in there. Also if I put the RAM in the other way, only one side is able to fit in the notch and the other side is way up in the air.

Gotta thank OCZ though, they put a gold plating on the RAM so you can grab it from both sides, insted of just the edges

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
The other section is not dead , but we can't answer any questions in there if you don't post any.
Look at the bottom of the ram there are notches that line up with raised sections of the slot where you are trying to fit the ram, they only line up one way. Insert the ram and apply FIRM but not excessive pressure and when the ram reaches the bottom of the slot the clips should close, you can try very gently to close them if you are sure that the ram is all the way into the slot.
Post back and let us know how you went.

·
Registered
399 Posts
match up the indent on your ram to the key on the dimm slot. then, insert one side until the latch snaps into place, then push down on the other side. you cannot insert the ram straight down.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I got 'em. Actually a freind came over and helped me. Neither of us new how to build a comp, but he was comoing over for a LAN, and came early and saw me working on it, so he decdied to join in, and we actually got all the parts in (except the hard drive and dvd drive needs 2 screws on one of their sides) We only tried wiring up the hard drive, and I am taking it to a place tommorow that does wiring cause I just don't trust myself with that. there are way to many cords.

I just have a really bad feeling about this though. I can just imagine getting a call from teh palce and them telling me my mobo and everything is fried. The only thing we didn't do was that in the mother board manual it said when installing a dual core processor connect the chassis fan cable to the cha_fan1 connector. and we had no idea what that meant, so we didn't do it. Also it took us many tried to put the mobo in the case, so there was a lot of touching it on the sides

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.