Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supp Ya'll

So, i got my highspeed connection hooked up here (DSL) and I have 3 comps hooked up to a router with the dsl modem hooked up to the router as well. So basically the comps connect through the router wich connects to the modem.

I was told that a router works best because it regenerates the signal rather than just diving it amongst the computers. I didnt really wana do any research on it cuz i was just looking for a quick answer.

If all three comps are running and surfing the web, will that mean 1 comp will have higher speeds than the other or are all connected at the same speed (if so is it the highest speed or is it divided amongst 3 comps).

I guess i will look it up after all.
I'd appreciate some help

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, i guess i forgot to mention, im running win xp pro,

and everything configured properly, firewall lan, etc.

just thought i'd have to mention that

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
welcome back. In my experiences, the computers generally connected at the same speed with very little variation.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There should be no penalty for using the router, though if two computers are simultaneously accessing the Internet, they're obviously dividing the bandwidth between them. How evenly the bandwidth gets divided is frequently a function of the turn-around time to the remote site, a slower response time will result in less throughput for that site.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fox says:
welcome back.
thnx fox

So bandwidth is divided, I see. :specs:

I was told a router regenrates the signal it gets and sends it to each computer on the network meaning each comp gets a 1.5 mg/s connection not that 1.5mg/s is divided between the comps resulting in about .5 mg/s for each comp. (I'm using 1.5 megs per second as an example)

I guess what i was told was wrong then....

thnx guys

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Someone was smoking the good stuff, and not sharing! :D

Think of a garden hose with a "Y" connection. If you have a 5 GPM flow rate from the hose, do you really think you'll get 5 GPM from each side of the "Y" connector? It's the same principle. :D

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoooa!!

My head hurts. :drunk:

So does this mean, one of the computers can actually hog bandwidth?

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You see, when I am watering my flowers, I want to water all of them, not just the red ones, (this way they all grow up to be beautiful flowers) so kinda like Bandwidth, I wana make sure all computers get an equal share and not one of them hoggin everything and surfing at 300 kbps while the others at 5 kbps....see what I mean....

By the way, I just noticed how many post you guys have, and i must say thatsalota posts...U must have helped thousands of people with thier computer woes, you guys are great!!!

:D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Yes, the red flowers can hog all the water if you're not careful. :D

If you want true bandwidth control, you need to go with something fancier than the standard SOHO broadband router. Linux has some nice tools for network bandwidth limiting, some folks use an old computer as their router with Linux running to do the routing function. Obviously, this implies that you learn enough to configure the Linux system and keep Linux running. :)

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I'll just not go there for now, I wont be learning anything about Linux till my 4th semester.

THanks for the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.