Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying a new HD to install XP on it. i have an original HD that already has data in it. After i remove the original HD and put in the brand new HD with no data in it, i install XP onto the new HD. then everyhting else goes fine. Now i want to put back my original HD that already has data on it back into my computer so that i will have 2 HDs. will all the data be removed? for instance will the computer have to reformat the original HD for it to usable with my new system?
if you have anymore questions to ask me about this please feel free ask.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No the original data will not be removed and you do not have to reformat.
Just wait until after you install XP on the new drive to reinstall the old HD.
Set the New to master and the old to slave. Make sure that the boot priority in the BIOS is still set to boot from the new drive after you reinstall the old.
I'm assuming (bad) that both are PATA IDE drives.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You can mix drives without any problems, but obviously the performance relationship between them will only be as good as the slowest drive when transferring from one to the other, I currently have 2 raptors (SATA) in raid0 and an ide drive as a slave for storage, just put the old drive in as slave as said setting the jumper correctly then boot from your new drive, best bet would then be drag the data you want to keep onto the new drive then format the old drive for use as storage, then put back the files you want stored, but your data wont be touched unless you format the drive, hence dragging the data you want to keep from it off before formatting it, hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i in the past i always wanted to get some extra storage. so i am just gonna buy an 80gb HD from newegg.com and set that as the master. and set the original HD to slave and install XP into the new HD. hopefully once i get into the desktop i can just access my computer and see my data in my original HD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.