Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has probably been answered often, srry if i didnt look long enough to find the answer.

if i screw up and have to reformat my gateway computer, if it had XP on it and i install xp with another xp disk, say my dell one. will i have to imput the activation key for that computer or will it already be there?

i dont know the key, i do have the hd still but i cant boot to xp
cuz if i have to put in a key then im in big trouble. if not that would be great.

T

·
0 Posts
was xp originally on your gateway ? if it was the COA should be one of the covers or the top with the cdkey. If not DL this program and run it , it will recover your hp cd key and yes if it is an OEM xp it is what they call slipstreamed, which can be done with any ver of xp that will inputthe cd key automatically.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea one problem, i cant boot to the xp that exists, the linux i tried to put on another drive on that computer screwed it up

unless there is a program to recover the key from bios, i just need to know if i reformat will it ask for a key?

T

·
0 Posts
the cd key is not on the case ?
there is away by taking out the hd and connecting to a nother xp machine
use reg editor and partially load part of your registry, but that could be borked also

probably buy another copy of xp

·
Registered
405 Posts
Check your case. Manufacturers usually affix the XP Product Key sticker to the case. You may be able to use your Dell-provided XP CD to do the install, but you should use the XP Product Key from your Gateway.

That being said, I have seen instances where the CD won't work, particularly where a Dell-provided CD would not load Windows on a non-Dell machine. On the other hand, I just reloaded an HP computer with a Dell-provided XP Home CD using the Product Key that was affixed to the HP computer, and it worked fine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it worked, i checked its not the same key as my dell BUT!
i havent activated yet. will that program that gives me the key tell me a different key after i activate? as in is the one im running only temporary untill i activate. because i dont want to activate and have this computer go mad.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Once you enter a Product Key to activate XP, only then will the program return the activation code -- which is the same as the Product Key you enter.

T

·
0 Posts
Every Dell oem xp cd I have used never asks for a cd key ???

you can use magic jellybean to remove and replace an xp cd key
I do that in the shop .i have a slipstreamed copy of xp, it automatically installs xp with a cd key. after it installs i use MJ to remove my cd key and i enter the customers from their case...works 100% except for about 50% with OEMs.

MJB will not work with win 2000 or 2003, it will let you view the cd key, will not let you change it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Dell XP Home CD's I've used all require a Product Key; however, a corporate edition XP Professional CD from Dell seems to work on any Dell without a key.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
actually just found out the one i thought i had was temporary so... im screwed

im surprised theres no sticker on this thing tho, i know the guy who put xp on it but i dont think i can get in contact with him.

now that i think about it i bet he pyrated it...

i do have a disk from gateway to put 95 98 or 2000 on it, or i can put xandros on it. what do u think is the best way to go?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well, that's new information. I assumed the Gateway came with XP preinstalled. Yes, you probably had a pirated copy of XP, in which case you wouldn't have a Product Key.

If I were you, I'd purchase a copy of XP (check eBay). Otherwise, I would use 2000. I would stay away from Linux since it isn't as intuitive as Windows.

T

·
0 Posts
even if it was a pirated copy it will still have a cd key. The cd key is more then likely black listed with Microsoft. Try pricegrabber.com their storefronts, they have better prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.