Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have adaware and use it faithfully, but I was wondering what you think is the best, least expensive software to protect your computer?

I also have hijack this but I have no idea how to use it or what to get rid of when it scans my puter, so I dont use it.

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
zone alarm is good i have the security suite hubby has the pro version, they both come with spy checker and and its a firewall. the security one also comes with a virus checker on it.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi Jo777

Nowadays I would say that you cannot have enough anti spyware/adware on your PC. In addition to the excellent suggestions already made, you might want to also consider SpyWareGuard http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html which can protect your browser against hijack, Ewido Security Suite http://www.ewido.net/en/ which is a useful scanner - it comes with a full version for 14 days then it becomes a free version (or you can buy if you want) and also SnoopFree http://www.snoopfree.com/default.htm which monitors and warns you of any programmes that may be trying to log your keystrokes. For a free anti virus proramme try AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 and I would recommend ZoneAlarm for a firewall. You can test ZA's efficiency here http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 - it passes with flying colours! You might also want to take a look at an alternative Hosts File http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm which can help stop infections and popups.

With the variety of trojans etc around today, having more than one programme to combat these is essential. Each programme will sometimes catch things that the others may miss, and together they can form a formidable line of defence. I run all of the above and, apart from a stray toolbar which was just a nuisance, have never been infected.

Good luck and stay safe! :smile:

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
One final thing to note: do not ever have more than one antivirus scanner installed on your system. Using web scanners are fine for additional protection, but stick with one actually sitting on your computer. Not only can it severely slow down your system (if multiple on-access scanners are running) but it can also actually lead to some files which aren't infected being tagged as infected, and some others which are infected slip through also. AVG is a good suggestion for the installed one, and good online scanners are as follows:

Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall (Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean on this one)

Having multiple spyware/admare scanners is good, but multiple virus scanners is almost always bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much!

Thank you all VERY much 4 your advice on anti-virus/spyware! I appreciate it very much!
Although u gave me so many great suggestions, I had a hard time choosing. :smile:
I decided to try AVG and the online panda one.
THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thank you all 4 your advise. I appreciate it sooo much!
Although you gave me so many great suggestions, I had a hard time choosing. :smile:
I decided to try AVG and the online panda one.

THANKS AGAIN!

·
Bearded Tech Monkey
1,058 Posts
I just want to reiterate, that it is very important to have a firewall these days. I however would not recommend ZoneAlarm with ME. I tried it on my system & it was nothing but trouble. Sygate has been working well for me & is one you may want to consider.
I've also heard good things about Kerio

·
Bearded Tech Monkey
1,058 Posts
Boy that's the truth! Cant wait till I have enough $$ to buy XP! :sad:

If you have any questions about the use of these programs Jo777, please feel free to ask!

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
RavenMind said:
Boy that's the truth! Cant wait till I have enough $$ to buy XP! :sad:
Why not start saving now for Vista and skip XP? :grin: (although I'm a fan of XP :smile: )

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
The way things seem to be going, I'd prefer to get XP and not have to re-mortgage the house :rolleyes:

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Nah! Stick with WinME. It's more challenging for troubleshooting, so you learn more. :wink:

I've used Zone Alarm with WinME for about 3 years, no problems.

One more for your list a-squared , free and updated regularly. Protects against trojans, dialers, worms and spyware.

·
Bearded Tech Monkey
1,058 Posts
How odd! I've tried zone alarm on 2 VAIOs (different hardware configs), and an HP. All running ME, all got buggered. Switched to Sygate & everything ran smooth. Well, ZA is a good product, and if you can get it to run on ME then more power to you!

(And koala, I think I've had as much "learning experience" with ME as I can stomach... :sour: :grin: )

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Every system I build has the following: (antivirus apps range from AVG to Norton)

AdAware SE Personal
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spywareblaster
Spywareguard
MS Antispyware (BETA)

All are free, and work wonders. Plus, the three active ones (MS Antispyware, Spywareblaster and Spywareguard) don't hurt system performance.

Of course, MS Antispyware requires 2k or XP, so ME won't run it. But, the others provide pretty good protection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ravenmind

hey, your last reply said if i had any questions to ask... Well, I decided to try the AVG anti-virus software because it was free & is constantly updated. Well, i dont know exactly what I did but it totally screwed up a bunch of stuff. I think it was my fault but i could not find a way to undo any of it.

When i first installed the program, it automatically started running before i could update the software or change any of the settings. It started popping up with all these virus' found. I had no clue what to do so at first i decided to send them to the vault. I figured that way, atleast i could still restore them back if i needed to. I dont remember how many files I sent to the vault but it was atleast 10 or so. I couldnt get it to stop making those stupid pop-ups come up so finally i just disabled it.

I kept reading everywhere how important it was to keep the software updated, so i decided to get online and do just that. Unfortunately, I still live in the darkages and have to dial up... I went to my AOL icon to access the internet, and NOTHING! When I clicked on it, it didnt even acknowledge the fact. It wouldnt even do anything. Know matter where I went or how hard i tried, i could not open AOL. I went to a few other programs and what not and the same thing. It was like certain important files where missing. :dead: I finally found an aol install disk and re-installed it. Then I got online and downloaded the updates for AVG. When I tried to install them, I cant remember exactly what it said, but it wouldnt let me install the updates for some reason.
Oh ya, by the way, when I tried to go to the vault and restore everything i had placed in there, it wouldnt even allow me to open up the vault. I couldnt view any of the files in there or anything.
I just had problem after problem with the software so if finally just decided to uninstall it. Yet another problem!! I couldnt uninstall it. Something about a file missing, some kind of error. :deveous:
By this time I was in tears and up pretty much all night. I shut down my puter and went into safe mode. I tried to uninstall it that way and it still wouldnt let me so I had no choice but to manually delete anything and everything i could find having to do with the software.
The problem is, i still have problems accessing some programs on my puter. Some programs, I can access but little weird things dont work anymore. I dont know if they are related but I just dont know what else it could be. For example: I have Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6... Never had any problems with it and now all of a sudden, when I go to create a cd through creator classic, at the bottom right of the screen it says i have no default recorder. It wont recognize that i have a blank cd in my cd drive, or even recognize my cd drive at all. So obviously, i cant create any cd's.
Geez, how frustrating! I really hope all of this is making sense.
If so and you or anyone can help or have any idea's... PLEASE HELP!!
If it will help at all, I do have Hijackthis and Ewido.
Sorry if this is really confusing.
Jo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.