Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now I only have dial up modem,where soon i'm gonna get cable. I assume I'll have to call my cable company and have them install another cable hook up for me plus install the actual modem or however that goes. question is currently i'm using AOL. after this is all hooked up will I still be able to use AOL or would I have to find some other internet service that has to do with cable? I'm still trying to figure all of this out that you can see. I don't really want to have to pay for AOL plus some other service here.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You would still be able to use your AOL dial-up conection if you had your cable installed. Depending on where your computer is, another cable line will probably have to be ran, however, it's the same cable line that your TV uses so you could even use a simple splitter with a short cable if your computer was next to your television.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, when you say, "will i be able to use my AOL" i assume you mean will you still sign into that screen when you log on.

no, you won't.

with cable, you will just always be on the internet, and you would have to open the internet explorer browser, or firefox browser, and go to the AOL site.

now, unless you keep paying AOL, you will lose access to those member services.

alot of people use AOL and have no idea that the few services AOL provides on top of internet access, really aren't even worth using.

i mean, what do they actually offer you?

gmail offers 2.5 gigs of mailbox space, and you can access it no matter what ISP you use

you can still use the AIM messenger, no matter what ISP you use. besides, there are way better messengers....

the AOL news site is also accessable no matter who your ISP is

the chat rooms are about the only thing that is members only, and it's nothing more than a meat market.

bottom line, you are better off without AOL. their service is usually reliable, but, they offer services that you really don't need. and that means, you pay for more than you need. (not only that, but they aren't the only ones who offer those services.)

better than AOL, and still in the low price range, is ISP's such as earthlink, and prodigy, that offer a dial up connection with nothing to install, just set it and go.

aol is a browser based ISP, meaning you need to more or less turn your entire computer into an AOL machine, which is a silly way to use the internet.

the next step up is cable, (fast but spurradic) or dsl. (slower but more stable)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.