Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to this forum and have lots of questions. I'm thinking about getting a laptop, but I don't know where to begin.

I was getting it to replace my dt that I have now, but my son-in-law says I need my dt to help run the laptop. I am confused because I thought I could sell the dt after the purchase. I have high speed and need the ability to move around the house. He says he can make the house wireless, but I would still have to keep my dt.

I have no laptop experience and I would like to get a better understanding of why he is telling me this. All I need is a basic laptop for surfing the web, email etc. All help is welcome and feel free to add on any personal likes or dislikes.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
A desktop may come in handy, but is not really needed. When using the laptop wirelessly, if you do not have a desktop computer, you will have to have networked printer. Other than that, I see no reason you need to have a desktop.

As to which laptop to buy. I tell people to go with a name brand and get a good warrenty. The faster they are, the more heat they generate. So you may not want the fastest one out there. A 1 gig cpu should be fast enough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.