Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,
I am trying to build myself a computer and don't really know where to start...so i thought i start by looking for a motherboard and take it from there...well the problem is that when searching for a motherboard there are so many specs and i don't know what they mean or what i should be looking for....can someone help me. i am building this computer w/having in mind that i will be using this computer for everyday use...

thankx

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd suggest starting with a bare bones systems. Get one that comes with case/motherboard/and CPU.

That is what I normally do, then I build up from there. (I don't know how you feel about shopping online)

check out www.pricewatch.com

That is where I go to compare bare bone systems and other things.

-=*TC*=-
:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I suggest looking at www.tomshardware.com. They have many, many reviews of motherboards and you can learn what to look for and what the differences are.

Basically, you have to be able to answer a couple of quesitons:
1.) How much $$ do you have to spend?
2.) What kind of processor are you going to put in?
3.) What features do you want?

Most mobo's (mother boards) vary in $$ based on the brand name and also the features that are built in.

The more things built in, the less you have to buy and the more open slots you have. However, if you want to upgrade a built in feature, then you have to disable it and add in a card - which is sort of wasting your money.

IMHO, I would rather add in sound and video. These are going to always be upgraded in technology every year or so. Networking is kind of standardized, so if you're doing "normal" stuff, it's fine to have it built in. Of course you want the latest tech - so go with AGP 4 (I think is the latest), USB 2, and maybe even 64bit PCI.

IMHO, the more PCI slots the better.

Make sure the MOBO is ATX (it probably will be). This is a sizing standard.

Investigate the bios. Some give you a lot more control over your machine than others - this is especially pertinent if you ever have any intention of Overclocking the CPU.

Factor in what kind of memory the board will take and how much. Some types of memory require two banks - another price consideration. Older memory is of course, cheaper, newer faster is more expensive. Remember to look at what kind of memory it's going to take.

I would assume you're going to be putting in WinXP? Check out M$'s hardware compatability list. Also, once you have some choices, get other opinions. Here's a good link for this: http://discuss.extremetech.com

HTH!

Have Fun!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ya Check the link TC gave you. It is good to think of the price range first, than you can decide on the type you would like to buy depending on the buget!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Aww shucks I thought you were Flirtin wit me! Trying to flatter me or sumfin!! *giggles*

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

:winkgrin: -=*TC*=-

·
Registered
403 Posts
techiechick said:
Aww shucks I thought you were Flirtin wit me! Trying to flatter me or sumfin!! *giggles*

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

:winkgrin: -=*TC*=-
LOL:D

And was that an evil Laugh?

:eek:nly1ha: :rolling:

"Mohahahahahahaha"

"Mohahahahahahahahahaha"

:shhhh!: :eek:nly1ha:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.