Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i buy pr look at a video card at a local store or online.

It will have something like this.

Chipset

GPU Geforce 6800
Core clock 325MHz
PixelPipelines 12

Memory

Memory Clock 700MHz
Memory Size 128MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type DDR

Under Chipset what does Core Clock and PixelPipelines mean? Also, under Memory what does Memory Clock and Memory interface mean?

Offtopic - You can overclock a video card right? What else can you overclock besides a video card and cpu? and before you can overclock your motherboard has to be able to support it right?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I always buy based on ratings of the particular item. The more ratings, the better. One or two doesn't give a very accurate representation of the quality or reliability, but if you see like 20 or 30 5-star ratings, it's a good bet that it's a quality product.

I've always bought my computer supplies from http://newegg.com or http://tigerdirect.com . They both have excellent selection and pretty much the best deals out there. Newegg also has great customer service; I'd assume TigerDirect does too but I've never dealt directly with them.

The Core Clock is the speed at which the GPU (the graphics processor, like a scaled down version of your CPU dedicated to graphics) functions. It's scaled the same way, but video cards as a rule are clocked a lot slower than today's CPUs.

Graphics pipelines:

In 3D graphics rendering, the stages required to transform a three-dimensional image into a two-dimensional screen. The stages are responsible for processing information initially provided just as properties at the end points (vertices) or control points of the geometric primitives used to describe what is to be rendered. The typical primitives in 3D graphics are lines and triangles. The type of properties provided per vertex include x-y-z coordinates, RGB values, translucency, texture, reflectivity and other characteristics.
From thefreedictionary.com

Video cards can be overclocked, but it generally doesn't increase image quality, only rendering speed, or what people refer to as their "frames per second". You may also need an aftermarket heatsink/fan to help dissipate the heat created by the extra work that the GPU is doing.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Acutally, you need to keep in mind that GPU speed, like CPU speed, isn't always what determines true performance. The best things to look at are GAME benchmarks because that's where the truth comes out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.