Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i feel that i trust what the two of you have to say, i am going to ask an odd tech question about hard disks.

i have 2 4.3 gig hard disks on my machine at the current moment.

one of them is a western digital caviar, and the other is a quantum fireball.

the quantum has started to "Sing"

by that i mean that it is producing a sound matching 22 khz.

i am almost sure that it is equal to the speed it is spinning at.

this only happens when the disk is doing nothing.

when it sings, i can do one of two things to make it stop.

i can unscrew it and leave it hanging out of its bay, or i can tell the machine to do something using that drive.

so i conclude that it is happening when the heads are in the landing zone.

long ago i had someone bring me a disk that had died after what they called "whining" and when i looked inside, it was apparently scorched, as it had a dark ring around the inside where the heads had been sitting.

i dont want this disk of mine to fall to the same fate as that one, and to solve the problem for now, i have told my machine to use it for a swap file.

although, i need the drive to be mostly empty most of the time, so that isnt going to work in the long run.

my actual question is this:

if i go into the bios, and change the hard disk setup to make the landing zone at the other end of the disk, might this help?

i remember a long time ago working with scsi drives this would sometimes ruin a drive, but sometimes would mean the drive would run better.

if either of you know what i mean, and know the answer to what i am asking, please let me know.

thanks for reading this long drawn out babble, and thanks in advance for any help.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Any reasonably modern disk drive does not seek to the landing zone with it's idle, so I don't think that will have any effect. Even an old 4.3gig IDE drive will be self-parking, in that the access arm will automatically retract to the parking track when power is removed. I think you're remembering back in the old Seagate MFM & RLL drive days, where you actually had to "park" the heads if you wanted them not to be on the media when it stopped. This was in the days when stepper motors were used to move the heads, nowadays everyone uses linear actuators to position the heads.

If the heads are touching the platters anytime during normal operation, that disk is on it's way out, although it's probably already dead. :rolleyes: While a "knock" on the drive during operation can cause a momentary landing on the media, in normal operation whenever the platters are spinning, the heads are flying just above the surface. The height they fly is dependent on the age of the design, newer disks have a lower flying height to allow greater bit density. When the heads contact the media, we call that a head crash. Minor ones can happen and do little or no damage. However, if the head contacts the media for any length of time during operation, it usually does significant damage.

I would expect that the noise is a signal that you should be shopping for a new disk. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, how is this for odd....

the disk still works...

its been nearly a year, and it still sings, but hasnt failed.

it is working perfectly fine in my linux machine.

i stopped caring if it died when i ended up getting my hands on a pair of 40 gig disks, but i went ahead and sunk that disk into my linux machine, and i expected it to fail soon, and it hasnt.

what are the odds that the singing sound is normal for that disk?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, I had disks with bad bearings that ran for a long time, but it wasn't normal. If the disk started making the noise after some time, I'd say the chances that it's normal are about 0.0%. :D

S

·
0 Posts
since i feel that i trust what the two of you have to say
Well Walt that's a hell of a slap in the face to the other members here.............. :no:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.