Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LAN cable that is mounted outside of my home, exposed to the elements. A lightning storm came up early this week. One of the major lightnings caused a short power interruption (just a blink), and also caused my LAN switch to stop working. There are lights on my switch are are lit-up even though there are no cables conneted to those ports...

IS my switch damaged? any possible suggestion for repair, or do i have to replace it already?

In the long run, will this eventually affect my PC? I am asking this particularly since the LAN card is connected to the MObo...

Thanks very much for any assistance...

·
Global Moderator
51,439 Posts
Why in the world do you run the cable outside? :sayno:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
johnwill said:
Why in the world do you run the cable outside? :sayno:
err... :wink: I run a cable outside, cause I am connecting through a router of an internet cafe located at the back of our house, physically detached from it...I made some arrangements with the owner, did some favors, and voila...free boradband...but with the risk of having the cable outside...hehe... :deveous:

thanks for the suggestion...I will test my switch ASAP, any external signs that I could look at to conclude that it's toast? so shoyuld I also replace the cable? thanks! :grin:

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Does the Cafe have wireless?

Hard to troubleshoot a switch. Sometimes after a lightning strike they appear to work, but do not. I have seen a router with all the right lights, but would not pass ant packets. Check all the ports, sometimes it just knocks out the ports that were conected at the time.

·
Global Moderator
51,439 Posts
I'd have a wireless link, much less likely to get zapped by lightning. Also, grounding between buildings smokes more equipment than lightning, and it can be dangerous. Don't run wires between buildings unless you really know what you're doing...

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I was thinking of doing that actually, running a line between two houses. I think that the total exposed length outside would be about 15' and I'd likely run it along the ground. This would be used to share my Net connection with my neighbor who agreed to foot half the bill. What would you recommend?

·
Global Moderator
51,439 Posts
I'd recommend optical or wireless connections. Any grounding flaw in either house can cause really bad things to happen on the other side! I've seen several examples of floating neutral lines and mis-wired grounds causing fireworks. Even properly grounded electrical service can have significant ground potential differences, easily enough to cause serious problems with the network connections.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after decharging my switch for two days (unplugging it) i tried to switch the ports where i plug my cables and my internet connection went back...

however, the router where i connect my cable to for net connection (the other house) reports that whenever i am connected, they get slow connection on their PCs...

is this possible? any suggestions on what may be causing this?

thanks a bunch...great to have you guys around...

·
Global Moderator
51,439 Posts
It could be any number of things, but my money is on either the lightning damage or possibly the ground potential issues I've mentioned earlier in this thread. Have you considered hauling everything over to the other house for a test to see if elmiinating the possible grounding issues solves the problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again...i'm thinking of just testing the connections with a new cable...maybe the original cable's already damaged...

if i install this new cable...would it help in any manner if i cover the whole exposed (outside) length with rubberized moulding tube?

·
Global Moderator
51,439 Posts
I'm betting the cable itself isn't the problem, I'd still try my test...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.