Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to know when a virus entered your system, are there any anti-malware programs that will tell you when it got there?

I'm going to use a continous backup software (like Genie Timeline, Acronis True Image, etc) so that if I get a virus, I can restore the system to before it happened (I would use system restore, but I've had that fail on me sometimes)

But, suppose I set it to make backups of my system once a day, then a month later I my virus definitions have been updated and it can now detect a virus that entered my system 2 weeks ago. Then, I could set my computer back to the point before it happened. This would mean that I'd lose anything else that had been installed on my computer since then, and would need to be reinstalled, but I suppose that's the best I can do.

Though, it would help if there was a program which could also reinstall everything except the virus that was installed since then.

·
PC Gamer
820 Posts
No program I know that can do that if u get a virus use a normal antivirus to remove the infected file then restore to a point before the virus was detected, hope this helps

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
Very little is certain when dealing with malware. Malware writers like it that way and are trying hard to confuse things as much as possible. Anti-malware software doesn't even try to show a date of infection because there really isn't any reliable way to do this. There are the creation and last modification dates of malware files but these are easily modified by malware. There is little reason to believe these dates have any relationship with reality.

As you already know, System Restore isn't very useful when dealing with malware. It is fully capable of modifying, corrupting, or disabling System Restore.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,530 Posts
You may not be able to tell the exact moment when a virus hits but you can protect yourself to prevent it ever reaching you.

Having a strong AV such as MSSE and a Anti-Malware program like Malwarebytes is always a good start to having alerts when malware is detected.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download

Adding more security would be to download both of the following:

SpywareBlaster to prevent Spyware from installing on your PC: SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.

MVPS HOST File to block unwanted ads along with unwanted websites from access your PC: Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File

Finally just be safe of where you are browsing. If your some where you shouldn't be then it's going to be a higher risk of malware.

Make sure you take a look at this here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f112/pc-safety-and-security-what-do-i-need-525915.html

Currently on my system I have all of the above software running.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
^sound advice, but I will add the best single security you can have is using a non-admin limited account along with the above advice. MSE is good but one AV can only be so good, my advice is to augment it with free online scans from Trend Micro and Norton. I don't like Norton as a resident AV but the online scanner is very good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.