Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do other computers on the network have to have the same ip? cause when i check my ip at whatismyip.com it shows the same ip as my brothers on his laptop on our wireless connection.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
No each computer should have a unique IP address. You are probably seeing the ISP IP address assigned to your modem, which you are NAT'ed to private IP addresses inside your home network. To the outside world you will only appear as 1 public IP address.

JamesO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JamesO said:
No each computer should have a unique IP address. You are probably seeing the ISP IP address assigned to your modem, which you are NAT'ed to private IP addresses inside your home network. To the outside world you will only appear as 1 public IP address.

JamesO
Is there a way to have our computers have diffrent public ips? because on some sites me and my brother have an account where having multiple accounts is prohibited. Since we have the same public IP, they would think that one computer has two accounts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is probably only for registration, since not everyone's IP stays the same. I would try registering your account on a computer other than the ones on your home network. It's probably not necessary, but you may want to notify the webmaster of your situation as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.