Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony VAIO VGN-A190 laptop and the hard drive is on its way out, so I'd like to replace it. The current drive is an IDE Hitachi 80GB/4200 RPM.

I'd like to install a 7200 RPM drive - perhaps a Seagate Momentus 7200.1 - However, the Hitachi is rated 0.5A at 5V, whereas the Seagate is 1.1A at 5V. I'm concerned about frying components in the laptop if I install a drive with a higher amp rating than the one installed. Will this be a major problem? Should I try to find a drive that matches the Hitachi's input power rating? I imagine that if I do, I'm not going to be able to get a nice, speedy 7200...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi Harkonenn,

You can go from a 4200 RPM hard drive to a 7200 RPM hard drive. You won't have any problems as the internal PSU will supply the hard drive with necessary power. What is important is that you pick up and IDE (ATA-6 or ATA/100) hard drive and not a SATA hard drive.

These would be examples of hard drives compatible with your laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5907889+1035507776&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=380
Just a note, the Hitachi hard drives are just as good as the Seagate hard drives but often more expensive, so you should look at those too.

Feel free to post back with any other questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did the upgrade work well?

Harkonenn,

Did you make the upgrade? If so, how well did it work? Which Hard Drive did you choose?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.