Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't believe there's a difference but how come my RAM looks like it has 4 chips rather than 8 compared to the one I was thinking of getting?
- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2666MHz 1Rx8 PC4-21300 ACR26D4S9S8ME-8
Circuit component Passive circuit component Black Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

Vs this one
Green Circuit component Rectangle Hardware programmer Font

Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Laptop Memory CT8G4SFRA266 : Amazon.ca: Electronics

In amazon options there is 8GB and 8GB Single rank, is there even a difference?

Is my Kingston RAM and this Crucial ram both 1Rx8 and maybe they just look different? Generally are they both completely compatible on dual-boot?

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,911 Posts

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've seen this thread already but my question is whether or not there's a difference between the two RAM modules I pointed out on amazon. One is 8GB, the other is 8GB but single rank. However they both have the same image and should both be single rank since they are 1RX8.

Why I am confused is because there are two options but they look exactly the same.

11,911 Posts

11,911 Posts
No clue. You'd need to ask Kingston why they decided to put four chips on the front and four on the back instead of all eight on one side. And as far as why Speccy might show RAM frequency as half the max, no clue. Might want to ask the team at Piriform.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.