Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just found this forum and have a few questions regarding the ASUS MB's.

I am looking to put together a new system (Currently running an old P-3 600 98SE) and am looking at the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe or Asus P4C800-E Deluxe boards. I plan on running a 2.8 CPU/1Gig ram/ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/SB Audigy Platinium/twin Seagate 120 SATA drives & WinXP Pro.

After reading a few of the posts on the problems with the P4C800-E (the one I was planning on getting) I am starting to have second thoughts! I have had good luck with ASUS MB's in the past and like the reviews I have read elsewhere on the web about these boards.

Any suggestions or success stories with these boards? Any opinions or insight much appreciated! TIA, Doug

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Currently running an old P-3 600 98SE
Well Doug, I have just come from the exact same system as you (P-3 600 98SE), in fact we're still using it daily. Remember back in Fall 1999, that was the hottest machine available? Two months later, 750's. Then the CPU's just started flying!
...am looking at the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe or Asus P4C800-E Deluxe boards. I plan on running a 2.8 CPU/1Gig ram...WinXP Pro.
Well I came to your same conclusions, and chose the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mobo; 2.8 GHz/ 800FSB P4 CPU; 1Gig ECC RAM (2x Kingston #KVR400X72C3A/512). Also a True480 Antec supply; Lian-Li PC60 case; XP Pro SP1a; and other stuff. Except for some important offline Matrox P750 video problems, this rig has been solid so far. Better be, considering I spent 3 months planning it! Onboard sound, LAN, USB, COM1... I've tried everything but firewire so far, and it all works. I'm very happy!

It may not be an on-the-edge gamer's dream screamer --then again maybe it is-- but it should at least make a good audio-video editing DAW /networked office platform, with a little gaming. In fact, my whole design was around DAW needs, to begin with.

Don't get the non-E version of this mobo though; it lacks the ICH5R chip in case you ever want RAID from your Southbridge, also its LAN hangs off PCI instead of the Northbridge (North is better for the 1000 speed), and at least one guy hasn't been able to get his non-E LAN to work.

I also looked at 14 other mobo's, from 9 different mfg.'s and in case you care, my other top two choices were MSI 875P-Neo-FIS2R and the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP series. The MSI was it, right down to the wire when I was placing the order: I went back and forth between that and the Asus. As a vendor, Asus seemed to have more respect among OEM's and adapter vendors, and the mobo construction and layout seemed to be a half notch above the MSI. So I chose the Asus, not sorry either. If you DIY and can buy from Newegg.com, I can highly recommend them, after also dealing with KnowledgeMicro.
After reading a few of the posts on the problems with the P4C800-E (the one I was planning on getting) I am starting to have second thoughts!
True there are many problems around here, but keep in mind that most people who aren't having trouble with their new rig, probably aren't coming here. I just built my new rig 10 days ago. I had success, so I'm hanging around trying to help others until my mobo becomes old news.

And also keep in mind, for stuff that doesn't work, everyone seems to agree Asus' customer support is utterly useless. So there's risk there, if you choose an Asus mobo. Slow website too. BUT support-wise there's probably risk regardless of whose mobo you choose, so I say go for the features you'll need now and for the next 4 years.
...ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/ SB Audigy Platinium/ twin Seagate 120 SATA drives...
Multiple drives is a good idea: at least keep your data separate from your OS. Personally I chose all Maxtor Diamondmax+9 drives: one ATA-133 160GB (at ATA-100) partitioned 3 ways for the OS, and 3x SATA 160GB for non-RAID data and temp's. I had initially chosen Seagate drives, but from what I read later on, I would stay away from Seagate's for now, their performance does not seem to have kept up with the other players. Though your mileage may vary. Don't worry about the supposed 137GB upper limit on disk size-- universal patches are now available from WD.

Don't know what to say about your proposed ATI video, except I seem to see lots of folks having video trouble with mobo's around here, as did I, so check around. I heard the Matrox G550 is fine with this Asus, but can't vouch for that.

More personal preference, I would also stay away from the Audigy, their ads are slick but if you want gaming, why not just use your software-based onboard sound? All the mobo's have it, and give you 5.1. But don't even try to use either for serious audio recording-- you can do WAY better with better-quality, non-Soundblaster hardware.

- - - - - -

Some other important details on my rig: Asus mobo BIOS 1007 saved & updated to 1010 (now 1011 is avail.); ACPI mode disabled in BIOS and XP installed in "Standard PC" mode; Hyperthreading disabled in BIOS; Boot device priority set to CD-Flop-HDD in BIOS.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF Doug_H1...............:D

Wait a few days and see how many reports (Pro & Con) come in about these Asus boards then you will have a better idea on what to buy..................:winkgrin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Clintfan,
Thank you very much for a very complete rundown, exactly the info I'm looking for! Specifically since it sounds from your system description that I will have a very similiar mach.

Re:
Well Doug, I have just come from the exact same system as you (P-3 600 98SE), in fact we're still using it daily. Remember back in Fall 1999, that was the hottest machine available? Two months later, 750's. Then the CPU's just started flying!

I do remember well and like you I am still using it daily with zero problems, just ready for a bigger,better,faster machine! ;-)

Re:
.... I've tried everything but firewire so far, and it all works. I'm very happy!

That's good news!

Re:
It may not be an on-the-edge gamer's dream screamer --then again maybe it is-- but it should at least make a good audio-video editing DAW /networked office platform, with a little gaming. In fact, my whole design was around DAW needs, to begin with.

I only play an occasional game (and haven't played one in a long time!) primarily I will be using this to do graphics/art applications.
Website for my art is here if you are interested in taking a look:
http://Fractalarts.com/

Re:
Don't get the non-E version of this mobo though; it lacks the ICH5R chip in case you ever want RAID from your Southbridge....

I was leaning toward either the P4C800 or P4P800 until I found out the info on this board and decided that was my first choice for the reasons you pointed out.

Re:
I also looked at 14 other mobo's, from 9 different mfg.'s and in case you care, my other top two choices were MSI 875P-Neo-FIS2R and the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP series. The MSI was it, right down to the wire when I was placing the order: I went back and forth between that and the Asus. As a vendor, Asus seemed to have more respect among OEM's and adapter vendors, and the mobo construction and layout seemed to be a half notch above the MSI.

I also looked at the MSI board and considered it but have had very good luck in the past with ASUS boards and decided to go with that (until I started having second thoughts after reading the boards!).

Re:
True there are many problems around here, but keep in mind that most people who aren't having trouble with their new rig, probably aren't coming here. I just built my new rig 10 days ago. I had success, so I'm hanging around trying to help others until my mobo becomes old news.

That's why I was hoping for a few success stories like yours as reinforcement for my decsion! ;-)

Re:
And also keep in mind, for stuff that doesn't work, everyone seems to agree Asus' customer support is utterly useless.

That I didn't know but forums/newsgroups like this are a great resource and I for one certainly appreciate people like you taking the time to help!

Re:
Multiple drives is a good idea: at least keep your data separate from your OS. Personally I chose all Maxtor Diamondmax+9 drives: one ATA-133 160GB (at ATA-100) partitioned 3 ways for the OS, and 3x SATA 160GB for non-RAID data and temp's. I had initially chosen Seagate drives, but from what I read later on, I would stay away from Seagate's for now, their performance does not seem to have kept up with the other players. Though your mileage may vary. Don't worry about the supposed 137GB upper limit on disk size-- universal patches are now available from WD.

Thanks for the tip. I too have been looking at the Seagates (currently run WD's) and was leaning toward the Maxtor although I read somewhere that there were some noise issues with them. Any problems with that? Also are you running SATA drives?

Re:
Don't know what to say about your proposed ATA video, except I seem to see lots of folks having video trouble with mobo's around here, as did I, so check around. I heard the Matrox G550 is fine with this Asus, but can't vouch for that.

I put in a Matrox for a friends computer and they have a reputation of being pretty stable cards just not sure how cutting edge they are, an area I need to do more research in!

Re:
More personal preference, I would also stay away from the Audigy, their ads are slick but if you want gaming, why not just use your software-based onboard sound? All the mobo's have it, and give you 5.1. But don't even try to use either for serious audio recording-- you can do WAY better with better-quality, non-Soundblaster hardware.

Gaming isn't a primary issue. Main reason is some of the features it offered to be able to easily hook up instruments and other equip. Any recomendations for audio recording purposes? I play some instruments (although I am not a pro musician)and liked the ease of use features with the Audigy EX.

Re:
Some other important details on my rig: Asus mobo BIOS 1007 saved & updated to 1010 (now 1011 is avail.); ACPI mode disabled in BIOS and XP installed in "Standard PC" mode; Boot device priority set to CD-Flop-HDD.
Hope this helps,
-clintfan

It helped a great deal Clintfan and thanks again for all the tips and your config layout, I appreciate your help and I'm sure I'll be referring to it very soon! Doug

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
...was leaning toward the Maxtor although I read somewhere that there were some noise issues with them. Any problems with that? Also are you running SATA drives?
Yes as I said I am running 3 SATA drives, plus one ATA. For performance, I'm seeing 52-58MB/s, though we are still talking first-generation SATA here-- we will get faster. But for SATA-300 and above, I figure we'll need new mobo chips anyway... like I said, build your PC to last 4 years. [dream mode on] If trends continue, we'll be really fast by then, and maybe Microsoft won't load us down with extra junk to compensate ;) [dream mode off]

I did put my ear right up to the four spinning disks and cannot hear them much, except they do click when accessing, and XP Pro seems to do a regular bit of background accessing, unlike 98SE which is pretty lethargic there. Most of my system's noise appears to come from the two power supply fans, so perhaps True480 is not the quietest there. I planned to do a short test where I briefly stall the various fans to localize noise FWIW, but so far I have not done that.

I put in a Matrox for a friends computer and they have a reputation of being pretty stable cards just not sure how cutting edge they are, an area I need to do more research in!
I believe the G550 has been out since August 2001, so it is not exactly cutting edge anymore. It's just a stable respected mature product which I just had heard avoided the BIOS Setup video problem, apparently since it still has a VGA core instead of SVGA core. I think that the Matrox Millenium P750 which I got, one notch below their top-of-the-line Parhelia, would probably be what you'd call cutting edge: 8X AGP, 64MB, and so on, and so on. Of course, this board did hit the video problem I mentioned, but at least a workaround exists for that, so my box is fine now.

Oh, I forgot to mention I stuck a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu heavy copper cooler on the CPU and it fit fine; there's always a question about fit when you talk 3rd-party coolers. Though it did take me over 2 hours to mount it, because I'd never done it before and was freaked about wrecking the chip, which of course didn't happen.

I appreciate your help and I'm sure I'll be referring to it very soon!
You're welcome, I just hope if you do choose it, that you have as good luck as I did.

-clintfan

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Asus kicks @ss!

I have had my system up and running for a month now and have even updated from 1009 to 1011 with no problems. My MSI Neo2 board gave me way too many issues. Asus is soooo much more stable than my MSI was. My sytem is listed below in my signature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.