Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm a legal owner of XP - however I bought it preinstalled on a premade computer. It came with no disk. Is it legal to install XP using another CD, since I'm not going to use my old computer again (half of the bits are missing now)? Also, I have a key from my old computer but it says it's invalid... how am I supposed to get a new key that works? Can I phone up Microsoft, tell them my problem, give them my old key and get a new working one?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mmmm, The manufacturer of your old PC i think is legally required to give you a backup.

Phone MS and find out.

I have never heard of a situation like this.

Couldnt you just take out the hard drive and put it in the new comp?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'd rather not... but I suppose I could. I've already half installed XP onto my new one... it just needs a CD key... I tried putting in my old one and it's invalid. I can't phone Microsoft til Monday (you'd think a company as large as MS could offer 24/7 tech support =/) and I was wondering if I could do anything until then.

EDIT: Carsey, I have what I think is the CD-Key... i used that Magical Jellybean program or whatever it's called to get a cd-key out, and it's the same key that's written on the side of my old computer case. It's 5 lots of 5 letters so it seems to match the format of the XP CD key... but it just doesn't accept it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Many manufacturers dont give you the CDs nowadays. Even worse they dont keep the keys and make you have to retrieve them yourself.
Seriously? The past 4 comps I have had have been from different manufacturers and all had a backup recovery disk, a "clean" XP disc, and the Cd-Key on paper and on the system.

Who are you buying from?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Well Ive heard many dont give their discs out. Dell make you pay £5 for a disc that comes free with the OS install. Its all a way to get money out of you. Im glad that, when I got my computer from Evesham, they gave the discs for everything. Which is what should happen in all cases.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
hmmm...this is what I read into this thread...

we have a situation where the key being used will not work...

this has nothing to do with how many times XP has been activated, as the OS hasn't even completed installation as of yet...the activization is a separate issue and comes about when one either goes online or uses the phone to activate the system so that it doesn't lock up after the 30 day period following the install..

as a note, the different flavors of XP all have different key codes...i.e. a key for an OEM disc will not work for a retail version, nor of course will a Pro key work for a Home Edition, etc...I suspect your problem is that your key is for a different flavor than the install disc you have...

I really have no 'advice' per se other than if you call Micro$oft be prepared to take deep breaths so that you don't loose it when talking to those ppl who barely speak english...the couple of times I've had reason to talk to them I was fuming over that issue...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah... well there's my problem, this disk is a pro, my old edition was home. I guess Microsoft will refuse to give me a new key because of this?

Goddamnit...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

You cannot use a Licence Key for XP Home with a Pro disk and Licence Key for XP Pro with a XP Home CD.

The Licence keys are specific to the version of XP.

You can make you own backup CD

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122487-page,1/article.html

Or use a cloning Imaging program to amke an image of the original installation.
Symantec Ghost or Acronis True Image are not free XXCLONE is.

hth

Ceri

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.