Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a question. I have a PS with dual 12v rails. The 12V connector on my motherboard is 4 pins (which is standard on all ATX boards, I think). The other power connector is 24 pins. Ok, So, the 12V connector on my Power supply has 8 pins, and the regular power connector has 24 pins, so that matches up. But the 12V connector has 8 pins, which im assuming is the dual rails (4 each). However, since my mobo's 12V connector only has 4 pins, I can only use 4 pins from the power supply connector. So my question is, am I limiting myself by using this psu? I've never seen a motherboard that has 8 pinholes for a 12V power connector? Can someone explain this? Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Does the 8-pin plug split at all? I've seen 6-pin plugs for server boards that use dual CPUs but never and 8. Any pictures or links we can see?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Assuming it's keyed properly you should be able to plug this into your board. Just make sure to verify this with any documentation that came with your hardware.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, it plugs in just fine, was just wondering why its 8 pins, never seen that before, then again, i dont really work with servers too much..

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The 8 pin connector is the EPS12V connector. It was originally created for server motherboards but it looks like MB manufacturers are starting to stick it into high power boards like ones with SLI. So it worked properly when you plugged it into the ATX12V connector (the four pin connector)?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have an asus sli premium mobo, it only has 4 pins for the cpu 12v. but yea, the power supply 12v pin connected fine. The left 4 pins were the ones i inserted in the mobo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.