Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
my moms computer has been running slow for a while now and she wants me to reformat the harddrive so she can start fresh. shes done all kinds of restores, scans and defrags. to no avail. i wanted to save her pics and some data files before i did anything but when i tried to burn them on a cd, it says it can't find the driver. checked in the device manager it says windows can't load because of corrupted file error 63 or something like that. what can i do to get the cd back working? i won't be able to reformat without the cd working right? also i was curious about the scans you always ask to run, the adaware, spybot and cwshedder. it it safe to remove everything these scans find?
i though if i can't get the cd working maybe i could at least make things run faster by cleaning up the hard drive useing these tools and hijackthis, but i want to make sure i don't make things worse(get rid of something she needs)
any thoughts would be appreciated.
oh yeah she runs windows xp and norton antivirus, the system is a dell that shes only had a couple of years. she uses roadrunner internet connection, which i blamed for the problem because it has never been as fast as it should be. but after calling them several times, they say the problem is on our end. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply, mom said the cd stopped working awhile back, i will have to check to see which she has(i am at work right now) first i will check the cable, i think i have an extra cord at home.
if the cable doesn't fix it i'll come back with more info. thanks
you're talking about the cable to the machine right? the cd/cdw/dvd thing is built into thr machine, it came with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the cd/cdw/dvd media is roxio 5.1 and it came installed on the machine, the message i get when i look at device manager says windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. the driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)
any ideas?? please?
oh i also ran all the adaware, spybot and cwshedder and one of the recommended anti virus online scans before i came to work. i will try to go back in the morning to finish another antivirus scan and run a hijackthis log to post later. i do that on a different forum right? thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hi Debbie

Roxio is your recording software. The media keymaker is asking about is the brand of the discs you are using and the cable he is referring to is the flat gray cable inside the box, not the power cord you seem to imply having.Media is definitely not the problem and the cable is likely not the problem.

In device manager, uninstall the cd-rom and ide drivers and reboot. Xp will re-install them and should fix cd problem. After that, you will want to check your transfer modes, making sure they are DMA and not PIO. After 5 errors, windows will automatically change the transfer mode to PIO, a significant slow down.

Control panel
System
Hardware tab
Device manager
Expand IDE controllers
Rite click on primary ide channels
Uninstall
Do same thing for secondary ide channels
Then reboot

To check transfer, same procedure only select properties instead of uninstall, then Advanced Tab. You will have two devices listed-one will be the harddrive, the other the cd and may both be under primary or one under primary and one under secondary. If either is PIO or you have additional problems post back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
still no cd

hello again
guess you can tell i don't know that much about this stuff
tried following the steps in previous post. when it restarted after the uninstall the balloons popped up saying "new hardware found" i just knew it was coming back....but cd still not working and when i look at the device manager i get the same massage "windows unable to install..." as in first post.
i checked the transfer modes useing the steps above, they say
device 0
transfer mose: transfer mode DMA if avalible
current transfer mode: ultra DMA Mode 5
device 1
transfer mode: transfer mode DMA if avalible
current tranfer mode: not applicable
under DRIVE DETAILS
both primary IDE channel
C:/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/atapi.sys
C:/WINDOWS/system32/storprop.dll
am i looking in the right places? what now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are going to reformat the machine you don't need to bother reinstalling all the drivers etc. If you can find an alternative to backing up your data (memory stick or usb h/d or what ever you have on hand) then you can back up to the removable media and then reformat.

Once you reformat the drivers for your cd drive will be reinstalled during your OS setup. One thing to test first, if you don't have a floppy drive, ensure that you can still boot from your XP cd. If your cd-rom is non bootable, download these boot disks.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Number 12- The problem isn't re-installing all the drivers. The problem is that the CD doen't work

Debbie,

Did you uninstall the secondary IDE channels?

" i checked the transfer modes useing the steps above, they say
device 0
transfer mose: transfer mode DMA if avalible
current transfer mode: ultra DMA Mode 5
device 1
transfer mode: transfer mode DMA if avalible
current tranfer mode: not applicable"

This is referring to the primary channel presumably and indicates one drive on that channel (device 0)(probably Hard drive) There is no device 1 as indicated by it's transfer mode being not applicable

Your cd is presumably on the secondary channel.

Not to be redundant, but did you uninstall the cd drive in device manager as I did not give specific instructions for that thinking the procedure is obvious?

"when i tried to burn them on a cd, it says it can't find the driver."

Is windows saying this or Roxio?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to be redundant, but did you uninstall the cd drive in device manager as I did not give specific instructions for that thinking the procedure is obvious?

sorry was not obvious to me, just did as instructed

·
Registered
5 Posts
In device manager, uninstall the cd-rom and ide drivers and reboot. Xp will re-install them and should fix cd problem.
That to me sounds like a driver issue.

my moms computer has been running slow for a while now and she wants me to reformat the harddrive so she can start fresh.
If this is the case then see if you can boot from your XP CD (which will tell you if the CD drive is working or not) then perform a reformat. If you have an alternative means of backup it is a wasted exercise to fix the current installation of Windows just to reformat the system and 'start fresh.'

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Number 12

Not hear to debate with you, but to help debbie. Please read her post & help. She needs to fix cd so she can back up her data before she reformats. Obviously she doesn't have alternative method of backup.

Debbie

If uninstalling as indicated doesn't correct problem, see this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

to edit registry. It applies specifically to error code 39

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Sorry for repost. My edit session timed out. Hopefully this is complete solution

Number 12

Not hear to debate with you, but to help debbie. Please read her post & help. She needs to fix cd so she can back up her data before she reformats. Obviously she doesn't have alternative method of backup.

Debbie

My apologogies. My post was unclear. You need to uninstall the cd-rom, the primary and secondary ide channels in device manager. Technically, you probably only need to uninstall the cd and secondary channel, but it is possible that the cd is on the primary channel. It is easier to just un-install them both than for me to determine where exactly it is. To uninstall cd, just right click on it in device manager and click uninstall. Un-install all three things and re-boot.

I asked what generated error code because there is no 63 error code., There is a 39 however.

If uninstalling as indicated doesn't correct problem, see this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060

to edit registry. It applies specifically to error code 39

Do uninstalls first as windows automatically handles re-installation and is safer than editing registry.

Be careful editing registy. It can be unforgiving. Enter everything exactly as specified. Back it up (make a copy of it) before editing:

Click Start, click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Click box at MY Computer so that only MY Computer is displayed to export entire registry.
On the File menu, click Export.
In the Save in box, select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file (suggest desktop), type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.

Follow instructions at link above.

Given info at link, if these procedures work and cd works but roxio doen't, you may may have to uninstall and re-install roxio and possibly re-edit registry again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tried uninstall again

i tried the uninstall reboot thing (for all 3) again this morning, same result. still no cd (but i think it wants to :laugh: ). still the same message as before about windows cannot install device...and the error code is 39 by the way, sorry about the misinformation.
gee i'm a little leary of messin with the registry after reading the microsoft link and could i backup the reg to a floppy? what if it won't start back up?
it said something about using backup utility to do the backup, but on the windows xp home ed. you have to install it from a cd. :sayno:
will the directions in your last post work for xp home? and i should just save to the desktop? thank you for all your patience, you are very kind to a novice like me. i just don't want to do anything to mom's machine to make it crash or anything. do you think i should try the registry fix or find a shop to take it to?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hi,

You're welcome. I'm a novice too, but I've been using them for twenty years

The registry won't fit on a floppy. I suggest you export the whole thing in case something happens and you delete unknown things by mistake (the cat might jump on the delete key, you might fall asleep and do it, who knows.) If that happens, you just import the file and you're back to square one.

The chance of not restartiing is nil because the values you are changing only affect the cd. You have to be careful because there are alot of very similar entries there.

You can save it anywhere you like, it's just that the desktop is very handy and impossible to forget the location.

The directions were for XP home, Try the fix, it'd not a big deal.

henry

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check this out

henry, thanks for the vote of confidence. :smile:
okay, so i backup reg to desktop, then go to start , run , type in regedit.(or reged32.exe?)
on left pane find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
on the right pane find
UpperFilters, right click on this and delete
same thing with LowerFilters
then get the heck out of there and reboot?
am i missing anything? wanta make sure before i go back to moms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it works!!!:winkgrin:

i went into the registry and made the changes this morning and am listening to a cd as i am writing this. mom is thrilled to have her music back and i am her hero :laugh:
couldn't have done it without ya
henry you are the BEST !!!
thanks so much, now if i can get this thing to run a little faster...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Glad it works. Mark this resolved and start another thread for the speed up as it is a seperate issue. But for starters, norton slows you down alot and there are alot of better alternative. You can and should get rid of all spfbot and adaware issues. Never looked at cw shredder.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
resolved

i know this is going to sound stupid but i looked everywhere, how do you mark thread resolved?

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
Hi Debbie -

There are no stupid questions, really.

To my knowledge, our forum doesn't have a method of "marking" them resolved, just you being the last poster saying "All is Well" will suffice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.