Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Hp Pavillion a -305. I already replaced the hard drive with a westrn digital 80 gb. My question is , Would there be any benefit to slaving the orinal 40 gb drive back in? Would it recognise it as 120 gb? If so how do I go about doing that.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You can add the old drive in as additional storage/ back up drive.
I keep an additional drive in my system that I use XXclone to make a Boot-able clone of my C: dive on. I re-clone it once a week or before I make a major change.
To slave it you would need to change the jumpers on the end of the drive to SL (Slave) or CS (cable select) your C: Master 80 GIG would be on the end of the cable ad the D: drive 40 GIG will be in the middle of the cable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need to wipe it/ format it or just put it in for additional storage. Not worried about back up, As I'm getting a whole new rig soon. Nothing of importance on it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Sorry, I don't know a whole lot, Start me in the right direction.
Not a problem.
I am assuming you have the drive installed and your system sees it. You can go into control panel > Administrative tools > computer management > disk management . your drives will show up there right click on the drive and select format and it will walk you through the rest.
The other way is to go into windows explorer and right click on the drive and format it from there.
Caution make sure you have the right drive.In other words do not format C:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.