Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering whether it is possible to take a Intel Pentium 4 processor from one computer and put it into a another?
When I looked at the processor there did not seem to be anyway of taking it out?

Is it possible and if so is there a walkthrough as to how to do it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please provide the details of the processor. What socket does it use?

If both the PC has same motherboard configuration then it would be fine to transfer it to another. You can refer to the manual you may have got with your processor. Let me know if you have it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm,

Well, I am a computer novice, and only really know the basics.

They are both Dell systems, one being a DELL Dimension 8200 and the other being a DELL Optiplex GX150.

I wish to take the processor out of the Dimension and put it into the Optiplex. You may think it is a bit strange putting something like that into an old system but the Dimension is, as far as I can tell, broke. For no reason at all it takes a good 10 minutes to load windows and then runs painstakingly slow from then on. (I am not talking just general slowdown, it is complete slowdown to the point that it is actually un-usable)

The Optilplex however runs fine. I have just upgraded the RAM, so it runs smooth with XP, now all I need to do is update the dated Celeron processor.

If you want I could take pictures of the insides of the Dimension and the Optiplex, if that helps in determining whatever it is you want to know.

The Optiplex runs on a Celeron 600MHZ, and the Dimension is running an Intel Pentium 4 2000MHZ.

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello MM,

I don't think it is suggestible to do this as the old pc [DELL Optiplex GX150] is celeron 600-MHz Pentium III, and the other broken pc [DELL Dimension 8200] has 2.00-GHz P4 processor. It seems the faster one.

I would rather suggest to run system recovery on the newer one. It will help to improve your system's performance. :)
You can find more details here http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/pcrt?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The computer is in-accessible though. The information on the site does not offer much as the computer only just manages to load windows. Say if I was to click on 'START' it would take a good minute or two to open, and even then it would be pointless clicking on anything as it would take an age to load it.

I have decided against trying to move the processor now though. Do you think the Dimensions poor performance could be due to broken RAM or something?
You see, before it would not even load Windows. I then formatted both of the HDD's and re-installed windows, and windows now loads up. But as I mentioned above, it is pointless using it as it is so painstakingly slow.

Any help on this would be great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.