Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am a new member here, and I also have been reading through some of these forums, you all seem to be very knowledgeable! :sayyes: Anywho, I have a PX865 PE Pro, and have been having difficulty installing a 3rd, SATA hdd, WD4000YR. I currently have a WD1200JB(slave) and a WD2000JB(master) currently installed. I called Western Digital and they said that I obviously need to install the SATA controller drivers. Thing is, I don't know where or what to dl, because the manual doesn't really specify, and Albatron's site, sucks. Here is the info on my mobo:
http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/driver.asp?pro_id=52

I did talk to another tech guy from Western Digital and he said that I need to dl my chipset drivers:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009241.htm

I clicked on the first link, "Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility" and proceeded to install that one, because in the readme.txt it said that it enables support for SATA drives. This mobo doesn't have RAID support, so I cannot dl/install the "Intel® Application Accelerator - RAID Edition" link. Everytime I do this though, I have Windows giving me this error saying that it cannot install it, and I should restart. I have had my share of a million restarts, flashed my BIOS to its most up to date version, and I still can't get the SATA to work! :4-dontkno Here is a screenshot of the Device Manager btw:

If anyone could help, please, I would really appreciate it! I am getting more and more closer to just getting a new mobo+cpu.... :dead: thx in advance! :smile:

-out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I didnt think anyone was going to reply, but for the DM, I did try to update via the intel chipset, "Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility", not the .exe, but the .zip file w/all the individual setup files.

It finds the Primary IDE Channel...

Then it blows up (has an error). Anyone?

For your last response, my BIOS is installed, but the device isn't found. I don't see an option in my BIOS about PROMISE technology or whatnot. Thanks though, to be honest I am still lost. :4-dontkno

-out

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,
Reading your description there is two EIDE drives on IDE1 and ? DVD on ide2
with the SATA port empty (well full with this drive)

Easyiest way to get this up and running is to firstly swap your Boot drive to the SATA drive !
So here is the order in which i would do it if this was mine or a freinds;

1. download acronis true image
http://www.acronis.com/download/
2. image the drive to make things easier down the track.
3. Archive anything that can be exported/imported such as Email.
4. Once everything is backed up then shut down.
5. Plug in the SATA drive and install windows again. (you may have to set the bios to recognise this)
6. Remember to delete the current boot partition on the EIDE drive and to create a partition on the new SATA drive and format that one with either NTFS or FAT32.
7. Once the install is done just follow the usual stuff with MOBO drivers and alike.
8. The performance increase should be noticable upgrading from IDE to SATA so it is always a good idea to run the SATA with the boot partition.
9. I would then plug in the WD2000JB and the WD1200JB on separate IDE channels. You can daisy chain the ROMs after that or swap the secondary IDE to run the ROM as master and WD1200JB as slave. This is dealing with Data Throughput issues, as a bottle neck may occur. The best way to find the best config is to try them all and benchmark each configuration.

Anyhow good luck
Regards
golith

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Are you sure you download and installed the Intel 865PE chipset driver?
I would double check that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
manic said:
Are you sure you download and installed the Intel 865PE chipset driver?
I would double check that.
Yes I did, thinking about doing a fresh-install on the SATA alone... :deveous:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.