Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Here is my problem. I have a main desktop running win XPsp2. This computer connects to the internet through a lan port on my wall (as im in a dorm room) using a straight through patch cable. This works fine. I recently purchased a new macbook and found a wireless router from home.

Now comes the tricky part!!!

Because my university network only allows me to register 1 mac address on the network I cannot plug the the router directly into the wall port as it is not recognised. This means that I now have it set up behind my computer as it were. I have enabled ICS between the appropiate network cards on my computer. Now this is where it starts to go wrong. If I connect my mac directly with a lan cable then the internet works, but if I want to connect wirelesly it says that I am connected (can browse the router configuration etc from the mac) but will not allow me to view web pages or connect to msn etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
strider

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, you're doing this the hard way. Connect your desktop to the router, and in the router's configuration, find the "Clone MAC Address" option. This will take the MAC address from the computer and replace the existing MAC address of the router. Since this is the registered MAC address, the router should be recognized, and the attached machines will function as intended.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
What you can do is have the router clone the MAC address of the registered address for your network. Long story short, you can "give" the router a new MAC address to use. This comes in handy for situations like these. You can do this by accessing the router's web interface (if you do not know how, please post the make and model and we'll tell you how) and slapping in the registered address for it to use. Do this, reboot the router, and whalla you are set - things you attach to the router will go through the router and you'll be just hunky-dorey.

EDIT: Looks like John posted pretty much at the exact same time as I did. :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help guys!!!

I had a quick look but couldnt work out how too do it. My router is a BT Voyager 2100.

I will be so glad when I get this working

strider

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.