Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I put Macrium Reflex bootable media on an external drive ?
The drive already has data on it, but there is plenty of space left.

I am looking for the bootable media that simply provides a choice,
e.g Windows or Macrium Reflex at startup, I have a complete copy of my C-drive on another external drive.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Gary, but I do not want a Rescue Media with Windows RE. I want a Macrium Reflect bootable media so I can boot into the saved MR entire image of my C-drive (on a separate external drive) and restore my total system to exactly as it was. At the moment I have a C-drive image and cannot boot it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The purpose of Rescue Media is to enable you to recover when your Computer is unbootable.

You first boot from Rescue Media, and then from there you access your saved image to restore your computer to how it was when the image was saved.

Thanks a lot Gary, I was puzzled on how to load the boot media and my saved image, I could not see a connection. But your explanation has solved it perfectly.
I have two external drives 1. will have the rescue media on it and 2. has my image.
So for an unbootable computer I boot the rescue media from external drive 1, then restore my computer from external drive 2.
A million thanks Gary.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You're welcome. :)
Gary - I started the rescue media using an external drive 160 GB and it said there was not enough space to create a partition and to shrink the existing volume,
I have no idea how to do this.- surely 160 GB is space enough. Only 3.5 GB is used on the external drive, the rest is space.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,433 Posts
I've never tried installing rescue media to a detachable hard drive, I've always used a USB flash drive, and as I recall I've never needed anything bigger than 32GB.

I suspect the problem with your 160GB drive is not that there's not enough space, but that you already have data on it, so you need to create a new partition that Macrium can write your rescue media to.

My experience doing that is limited, so I recommend waiting for one of the other helpers to post instructions for how to do it. I know the basics, but would be unable to help if things didn't go as expected, so better to wait for someone who's done more disk partitioning than I have.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never tried installing rescue media to a detachable hard drive, I've always used a USB flash drive, and as I recall I've never needed anything bigger than 32GB.

I suspect the problem with your 160GB drive is not that there's not enough space, but that you already have data on it, so you need to create a new partition that Macrium can write your rescue media to.

My experience doing that is limited, so I recommend waiting for one of the other helpers to post instructions for how to do it. I know the basics, but would be unable to help if things didn't go as expected, so better to wait for someone who's done more disk partitioning than I have.
Gary, I am getting a new USB3.0 64GB flash drive - nothing on it, so MR should be able to go-ahead with the rescue media without any space/partitions problem..

·
Global Moderator
42,295 Posts
You do not need a 64 GB Flash drive. I believe the whole Windows PE and Macrium Reflect will fit on a 16 GB size or less Flash drive. If you can find one, you can save a little money buying a smaller drive as you cannot store anything else on that flash drive other then M R. But 64 GB will work too.
Follow the instructions for creating the Windows PE Rescue Media on the Flash drive. Then boot the computer to the Flash Drive. Attach a secondary external USB drive to the computer. in the M R app on the flash drive, choose to make an Image file of the whole disk that Windows is on including the Hidden Partitions (Source Drive) Then save that image on your External HDD (Destination Drive) If disaster ever strikes, you boot off of the M R flash drive and choose to Restore the saved image on the External USB drive (source drive) to the drive that previously or currently has Windows on it, overwriting a corrupt Windows, or restoring to a new HDD/SSD (Destination Drive).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have successfully created the MR rescue media on a flash drive.
Question ?
When faced with an unbootable (black) screen and with my flash drive and cloned external drive connected, how do I logon to the flash drive and boot the rescue media and then to the external drive to recover my Windows ?
When I open the flash drive I get this -

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You do not need a 64 GB Flash drive. I believe the whole Windows PE and Macrium Reflect will fit on a 16 GB size or less Flash drive. If you can find one, you can save a little money buying a smaller drive as you cannot store anything else on that flash drive other then M R. But 64 GB will work too.
Follow the instructions for creating the Windows PE Rescue Media on the Flash drive. Then boot the computer to the Flash Drive. Attach a secondary external USB drive to the computer. in the M R app on the flash drive, choose to make an Image file of the whole disk that Windows is on including the Hidden Partitions (Source Drive) Then save that image on your External HDD (Destination Drive) If disaster ever strikes, you boot off of the M R flash drive and choose to Restore the saved image on the External USB drive (source drive) to the drive that previously or currently has Windows on it, overwriting a corrupt Windows, or restoring to a new HDD/SSD (Destination Drive).
Thank you (y)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You just insert the USB drive and then boot from it.

See .... How to Set Computer to Boot from USB Drive?

Method 2 (Set computer to boot from USB drive via Boot Option Menu) is probably the easier option for most people.

You should then be presented with Macrium's Rescue Media interface, which is reasonably straight forward to use.
Thanks Gary (y)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Help ! I have created an MR rescue media on a flash drive and a system clone on an external drive, but have no clue how to boot from the flash drive. I shut down my PC with the flash drive connected and re-booted. There was no means of selecting the flash drive to reboot, it simply went into the Windows booting cycle and ended up with my normal desktop.
How do I get the rescue media on the flash drive to boot on restart from shutdown ?

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,433 Posts
What make of computer ?

Usually (ie most commonly), to access the boot menu you need to hit F12 as you power up. So hit your power button, and then immediately and repeatedly hit the F12 key until the boot menu comes up, because if you don't get the timing right then you won't get the boot menu and the computer will just boot as normal.

Some computers use a different key than F12 though, which is why I asked what make, and preferably what model, since even within brands the key may be different.

If I know the make and model then I can probably find out what key.

If that doesn't work, then we'll need to change the boot order in your BIOS/UEFI firmware (this is not as scary as it may first seem).

PS .... when you shut down your machine, it must be shut down not hybernated or put to sleep. If you do not shut down, then your computer does not fully close down, and the boot menu is not available on power up.

PPS .... you may need to disable fast startup for the same reason

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What make of computer ?

Usually (ie most commonly), to access the boot menu you need to hit F12 as you power up. So hit your power button, and then immediately and repeatedly hit the F12 key until the boot menu comes up, because if you don't get the timing right then you won't get the boot menu and the computer will just boot as normal.

Some computers use a different key than F12 though, which is why I asked what make, and preferably what model, since even within brands the key may be different.

If I know the make and model then I can probably find out what key.

If that doesn't work, then we'll need to change the boot order in your BIOS/UEFI firmware (this is not as scary as it may first seem).

PS .... when you shut down your machine, it must be shut down not hybernated or put to sleep. If you do not shut down, then your computer does not fully close down, and the boot menu is not available on power up.

PPS .... you may need to disable fast startup for the same reason

Thanks Gary, what an informative reply.

My computer actual type = HP All-In-One - 22-c0009na
If F12 is the key I will do what you say and see if the boot menu comes up.
Just shut down and on power-up pressed F12 repeatedly, a black screen flashed up with writing on it for a split second then disappeared and it proceeded to logon to my normal desktop. So F12 did not help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts