Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is getting very frustrating! My friend has a desktop EMachines with Windows XP. I cant get it to completely boot to the desktop. When I turn it on it goes to the options screen to boot in safe mode, last known good configuration, start normally, ect. If I try any option but last known, it will get to the Windows XP screen and then it just starts over. It wont boot in safe mode, it wont start normally, nothing. Also, if I try to start it normally, sometimes a blue screen will flash right before it reboots.If I go to last known good configuration, It will make it past the Windows XP screen and it acts like its gonna boot to the desktop, but then it just stops... with a blank screen. It wont go any further and I end up having to turn it off and back on.
I have no idea what to do! If someone could please help, I would greatly appreciate it.:pray:

·
UK
1,142 Posts
Try running any AV/malware programs you have in safe mode.

If you can't get as far as that, I would consider doing a repair install of windows if you have an XP disc.

Has anything been changed recently: any new hardware, programs, anything at all?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, first of all I cant get into safe mode. Second, I tried recovery thru my xp disk and it went through the whole process but didnt make a difference.

As for any changes being made, I'm pretty sure there has been changes made but unfortunately I cant tell you what because it's not my computer and my friend who owns the computer let someone else try to fix and neither of us know what that person did, nor can we get ahold of them. I know, I have told her over and over not to let anyone mess with her computer. I think she may have learned her lesson this time. :4-thatsba

Thank you very much for taking the time to help!
Any other ideas??

·
UK
1,142 Posts
If you had said new hardware had recently been added, I would suggest removing it - can you ask the person who has 'fixed' the computer what has been done?

When you say you have run the recovery disk, what did that do? Did it reinstall windows?

Do you have a Windows XP disc, or is the copy of windows installed on a spare partition on the hardrive?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I meant to say repair and not recovery.

Yes I have an XP disk and I tried repairing with XP disk. It said that it found some errors (dont think error is the exact word it used). Not sure if they where repaired or not because nothing has changed, it still does the same thing.
Thanks again

Oh, also you asked if I could contact the person who messed with the computer... I dont think I can but I will try. Most likely not though

·
UK
1,142 Posts
If you have done a repair install of windows and it still won't boot and you can't even get into safe-mode, I think you either have a hardware problem or there is something seriously amiss with the current installation of windows.

I would remove all unessential hardware - so, all PCI accessories, extra drives, etc, and unplug any connected peripherals not required for start up, and see if that helps. Make sure all cables and connects are well home and secure.

If that doesn't help, I would go for a full install of windows.

Providing you have a CD with Windows XP on, I would zero the drive first using the diagnostic utility that can be found on the website of the hardrive manufacturer - you should be able to check the drive over with the same software.

If there is data that you want to save, you could try putting the drive into another machine as the 'slave' drive and see if you can transfer it - but be alert to the risk of transferring infected files and run an AV on the files as early as is possible.

·
Registered
142 Posts
1. Are there any beeps you are getting when you start your computer???
2. Do as Peter said, remove all non essential components nd try to boot with jst RAM, CPU, Graphics Card(if no onboard) and HDD...
3. If you have more than one RAM stick then use one at a time...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I will try these things. One question, how do I remove all the unessential hardware?

And in response to karanislove, no there aren't any beeps.

Thanks so much!
I will get back to you after I try these things.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one more thing

I just found out that the sound doesn't work on the computer. So I could be wrong, it may make a beep noise but I would't know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To remove all non essential components..
1. Empty all PCI slots
2. Remove dvd drives, floppy drives n if you have any extra hdds....(U dnt have to physically remove them, U jst have to unplug them)
3. Remove Graphics Card if you have any...
4. If you have more than one RAM then try one at a time..

That speaker is not the speaker from where u listen the music. It is inbuilt speaker so doesnt require sound for that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I found the diagnostics for the hardrive, downloaded it, extracted it & then burned it to a disk. I stuck the disk in & now I dont know if there is some special way to install it w/out being able to access the desktop or what, cuz I cant run it w/out installing it & I also cant go in thru safe made.

So I dont know what to do from this point.

Standing by...

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to download the DOS version instead of the Windows version.

I ran the diagnostic test & it didn't help, so I am now in the process of doing a Full Erase to write zeros to the drive. When that is done I will install windows all over again & will let you know the status from there.

If I am leaving anything out that needs to be done or if there is anything else you recommend, please let me know.

I cant thank you enough for all your help! :pray:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
installed xp successfully

Ok, so I installed xp media center and it installed just fine, but now I have a bunch of drivers that need to be installed. I've searched everywhere for the drivers and cant seem to find them. The computer is an Emachines T3828 and the drivers it says it needs are:

Display Adapter - S3 Trio 64V2

Other Devices - Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

If you can help at all I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.