1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Athlon X2 4800+
Foxxconn NF4Sk8AA MB
XfX 7900GS video
2 1GB sticks of PC3200 in dual channel (soon to be 4, maybe)
250gb SATA hard drive
Lite-On CD-RW
Aspire XCruiser Black w/2 led case fans

This is my cousins rig and he currently has an Aspire 500w power supply and he has been reading some of the threads on this forum about some people needing more power in their PSU's with rig's with more slightly outdated componants and he wants some recommendations. I did the Power Supply calculator and it says 431w (add the 30% and it comes to be ~550).

He was looking at buying this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153039

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Looks like a good choice to me. Modular system helps cut down on clutter, reputable brand, and 4 12 volt rails each with 18 amps. High output power translates into a stable system with room for expandability.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I have to differ oh this one. I just never recommend Thermaltake power supplies. While some are of good quality, their line has been plagued with poor products when you stack them up against the really good supplies. The best they offer is only "good" IMHO, and none are up to the "Top-Of-The-Line" designation at this time although we see improvements in the recently released ones.

If you want to spend that much, look at the Silverstone 750, the Seasonic 700, the OCZ GameXstream, The Fortron 750. There are others that I didn't list, but all those I listed are better quality and will supply more power than the Thermaltake one you have listed.

Don't misunderstand, the one listed might be an "OK" supply and do the job for you, but the ones I listed are "TOP" power supplies that will give you power to spare. That is my opinion.

Addendum: My fellow team member has a Sparkle, so I assume he knows that line (I don't know the higher wattage ones), so if there is a Sparkle brand name in that range, that company is also known as a top of the line manfucturer. Rashiki might be able to advise on one of those.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

As you'll see on the PSU calculator, the most important is the efficiency of the DC-AC conversion under typical and heavy load, the voltages on the 12V rails followed by the 5V rail, the total wattage available on the 12V rails, the voltages and efficiency under higher "working" temperatures etc. I would suggest anything from 600W+ would do well for you. My choice would be on any Seasonic, Cooler Master iGreen, Antec True Power 2 and 3, Sparkle, FSP, OCZ GameXstream, Enermax Noisetaker, Silverstone PSU's above this power output, as they are well tested and reviewed as brilliant.

Your GPU requires 200W alone under load.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, I'll have my cuz take a look. You guys rock. I'm not a computer expert but I do get a few things, and you guys help out a lot. It's the whole "power needs for a computer" thing that really gets me worked up. That, and I hate how hard it is to find a really good PSU for under $100 bucks now-a-days for a system with brand new componants. I can find PSU's for $90 that have enough power, they are just not very well liked by computer buffs like yourselves. My hat comes off to you. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
878 Posts
the PSU is pretty much the most important part of a system. If you spend upwards of 2k on a brand new rig, you're going to want a good PSU to feed consistient, clean, ample power quietly and efficiently to your new stuff. If you drop 90 bucks on a crap PSU and it feeds noisy, inadequate power to your components, they'll suffer. You won't get good performance, and in worst case scenario, it'll fry components and leave you to foot the bill.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The Thermaltake PSUs have gotten better, but I would definitely still put the extra $$$ into a good name brand PSU like the ones Kalim has mentioned. This one has a nice rebate on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341002

Of course modular cabling is always nice, but I would take quality power over convenient cabling any day. If you do want a quality PSU with modular cables, you will probably end up spending a little more. This would be a good one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139002

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am in complete agreement with my fellow staffers. The thermaltake unit discussed is a different breed from the norm we have grown to admonish, but for that budget I just cant get hyped up on that one! The fact its only puts 600 watts out on max kinda makes my ears twitch ?????? thats not normal ? I see fortron advertise a 600 watt unit that really put out more than 600 watts ???? so why is the TT unit under ???? :sigh: by

not when you can get a Seasonic 600 watt for that money or maybe even a 700 watt for a few skins more! That would be choice number ONE easy

the Silverstone 650 or 750 ??? I think can be had for that budget too

and like the boyz said: Seasonic, Fortron, Silverstone, dont think the Antec Trios go that high ?????? nor the Igreen coolermasters ??????

as for Modular= no thanks; not this cat! When I see Seasonic & PC Power & cooling start the modular PSU units then I will reconsider! but until then NO WAY baby. There must be a reason why numero uno's wont make them!

by the way: Seasonic units always produce more than they label thats a rarity in that market of electronic prostitutes

good luck and enjoy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.