Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a bit game related, but since I think its PSU related to, I think I should post it here.

I have a pre-build, mediocre gaming system. It was a rather good deal (In my opinion) since I received a free 22 inch widescreen, and the hardware was pretty ok for the price (700 euro's).

These are my specs (output from Pc Wizard 2008)
<<< System Summary >>>

> Manufacturer : A-Tembo Computers

> Mainboard : Asus M2N-VM HDMI

> Chipset : nVidia nForce 560

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ 2600 MHz

> Physical Memory : 3072 MB

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (500 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F

> DVD-Rom Drive : YFYFYR 056F4XMFW SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : 22 inches

> Network Card : Nvidia Corp MCP67 Ethernet

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (oktober 2008)

Now this PC SHOULD be able to handle Call of Duty 4/5 with little problems, right? As the Call of Duty series have a build-in "Recommened Settings" button, I pressed that, and started up Multiplayer. However, while mostely hving a steady, average 80 FPS, it sometimes just drops to 8(!)-20 FPS. Although it shoulndt be neccecary, I went to the options and put everything lower. vSync off, Textures from Normal to Low(!), Smoke edges softening off, Anti Aliasing off, Resolution down, etc etc.

All of this I did, and still it has those FPS drops. Now when reading this forum I realized something: What about my Power Supply? So I checked the receat (Is that how you spell it? Im not English, sorry:4-dontkno) and it seems, I have a 350 Watt PSU.

Now for a integrated Video Card that should be ok, however: I have a nVidia GeForce 9600GT (which isn't the best, but it should do fine) and as far as I know, its not integrated.

Now finnaly my question is, could these FPS drops be because my PSU is to low? If so I'm gonna get a new one, and (if your kind enough ^^;) could somebody just say what I'm gonna need to do the trick.

Hope to receive a answer soon
-Xinj

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
It could be a couple things but your PSU is definitely low

I would get a new PSU
What was the site you use? Get a Corsair 650w, that's my recommendation.

Post CPU temps with core temp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I won't bother asking what the GPU temps is for now since its probably not getting enough wattage any ways, and my be running cooler, doubt it though.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I agree, you need much more power and if you keep running demanding games with this weak power supply, you risk doing damage to your other components. The Corsair 650 (as suggested in the above post) is on sale right now, so might want to grab one while they are a great price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
"What was the site you use?" What do you mean? The thing I used to post my specs?

CPU Tempreture:
Core 1: 43C
Core 2: 36C

Yea, after looking around a bit I was laready aiming for atleast 500-650 watt, I'll check the Corsair, thanks.

EDIT:

Do you mean the Corsair TX650W ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dind't, I bought a already build PC from a local Hardware store which had this Pc for sale. I only asked them to put a little more RAM in (From 2 to 3 GB) and asked for the 9600GT (It came with a slightly lower card)

And the link you send me is the one I ment.
The site were I search for my PC components, read the reviews, etc, in case I buy new parts is www.tweakers.net, however, this site is Dutch (and so am I :p) so it wont be much use to you.

Here in holland the Corsair 650w is 90-110 Euro's depending on the store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the bump, but just knowing it worked out ok.

Got myself a Cooler Master Real Power M620 watt, turned out my Videocard was a bit fried to, causing my screen to lose power after 10 minutes of gaming.

We went back to the store I bought it, eventually I received a brand new Asus ENGTS250 DK TOP/HTDI/512MD3 videocard, great piece of work! Everythings working great now! thanks for the support guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.