Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new card today, an eVGA GTX 260. When I tried swapping out cards, and plugging everything back in, it wouldn't start up. So I tried taking out all the other plugs, leaving just the motherboard power, the PCI-e plugs, and power for the SATA harddrive. The system started, but would not go any further than the memory check. After this, I tried plugging in my dvd drives, but the system wouldn't start anymore.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
ASRock 939-DualVSTA motherboard
G.Skill 4GB RAM
WD 250gb Caviar HDD
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live Audigy 2S
OCZ 700W Power Supply

The problem I'm confused about is that I think my power supply should be much more than enough to power the system. My previous card was a Sapphire x1900GT. I tried switching back to that card, and the system wouldn't power up. Could this possibly be a power supply issue? I just recently had it replaced via warranty too.

I'm thinking of going by to Fry's to pick up a power supply to test out, then return if it is in fact a power issue, and claim warranty with OCZ again.

If you guys could help, I'd really appreciate it, as I was really excited about trying out my new card.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
I think your plan to try another out from Fry's is a good plan, especially if it will not now power the old video card you have. That sized power supply should run that card and OCZ, while not on our recommended list, is a decent power supply most of the time. Might be a good bet for you to try another in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there another power supply that you might recommend that's around 60 to 70 dollars, and around 600 to 700 watts?

-edit
Actually, nevermind. I'm skimming through the Guide at the top of the forum right now.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The 700W OCZ PSU's had some problems according to the OCZ forum. I don't know of any quality PSU's in that Wattage range for $60 to $70.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah actually I just picked one of those up today at mwave. Except mine will come with a $30 dollar mail in rebate giving me a $66 dollar PSU!

I just plugged everything in pre-maturely (PSU not sitting in case) and everything runs great. Now I'm wondering what I should do with my OCZ PSU. Is there any way I can return it to them? Perhaps telling them that I'm unsatisfied with this product (which which I really am unsatisfied), or just claim warranty again and get another PSU from them.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
I would alert OZC to the problem and let them know about your dissatisfaction.
The Corsair rebate will come in the form of a Visa card, NOT a check, good for further purchases of Corsair products.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
If you can get them to replace the OCZ, then you might just receive the new one and resell it on Ebay. I have done that with some Antec RMA'd power supplies and got pretty decent money back out of them. Don't let it slide, make them replace it.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Their (OCZ) 750 watt is a newer design and a better power supply than the 700 watt IMHO, and I don't know of any issues with the stability of power from that one. Hope that does the job for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it really? Well I've already put in my Corsair 650W, which was mentioned and link to in a previous post. I guess maybe this could be a backup, or I could sell it to help fund a netbook.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

I just purchased a new card today, an eVGA GTX 260
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
ASRock 939-DualVSTA motherboard
G.Skill 4GB RAM
WD 250gb Caviar HDD
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live Audigy 2S
OCZ 700W Power Supply

To run the new video card you bought with your system,
you need 850 watt psu.

Antec
Corsair

·
Registered
773 Posts
You really don't. I bought a corsair TX 850W for my GTX 260, but I only got that so I could run 2 GTX 260's in SLI. You can run a 260 with 600W if you want, though it would be better with 700 and up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Official nvidia site says:
GTX 260 Power Requirements:
Non-SLI: 630W Minimum Power Supply
SLI: 680W Minimum Power Supply
One 6-Pin Power Connector
One 8-Pin Power Connector

So I even added on 170W for the SLI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status